I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Update on Lamar Manf.
Posted by: Andrew Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 11:41PM

Good evening folks,
Even though we won't be opening for another week or so, I wanted to give you all an update on what's happening with our business. Over the past several weeks (in addition to going through several personal crisis) I have been evaluating some of our past sales history. Some things I saw, I liked...some things I saw....well let's just say that some of my hard labor is been mostly for fun with little or no profit involved. Such is the nature of being in busineess I suppose, however upon re-opening you will see several major changes happening with the products we currently carry. I am going to outline them one by one.

1. Stabilized Wood squares for reelseats will be discontinued. We just simply not selling enough to justify stocking the sheer variety and quality of pieces that we do. Upon analysis I figured out it takes me a year or more to turn over one order of 250 pieces of wood. Too much work/time for too little profit. Example; I sanded, polished and labeled200 pieces of wood, toted them halfway across the country to Charlotte (and back) only to sell about 30 pieces total at the show. That's just simply not worth the effort.

2. AllStar Blanks- Discontinued by Shakespeare, however I recently purchased AllStars complete remaining stock of discontinued/closeouts (over 1000 blanks). So keep an eye out for these to be posted on the website.

3. Buffing Set-Ups- Discontinued. The buffing compounds are becoming increasingly harder to get from the supplier due to poor inventory on their part. If any of you are interested, I'll email you the company you can ATTEMPT to get them from.

4. Cork Boring Clamp- Discontinued...too much trouble and time for too little money. I know $45.00 sounds like a lot for a clamp, but until you try and make one...it's a lot of time and work to do it right! SO, get a saw and make your own! (haha!)

5. Burkheimer Blanks- Special Order only. Those of you who use'em know what gems they are, however due to the cost I can't afford to keep 30-50 of thse blanks in stock only to sell one or two every couple of months. Keep an eye on the website...I'll be clearencing out the remaining stock of these.

6.Scotchbrite-Discontinued. This product is becoming more readily available at local stores. I'll be blowing this stuff out as well on the website.

7. Mandrels (both types)- Price will be going up. The cost of steel doubled last year for a number of reasons. I have held the price as long as possible, but can't afford to do so anymore. So there will be a price increase beginning June 1st

8. Exotic Burl- NO CHANGE in price or availability, in fact you will soon see the addition of preformed grips made from this innovative new material.

9. DVD- NO CHaNGE in price or availability.

10. Custom Reelseat inserts- Discontinued. I'd rather sell you a DVD and teach you how to do it yourself. What is that old verse about "teach a man to fish and..."

The Charlotte showed me where my bread is buttered. Blanks, DVD's and Exotic Burl. With that in mind we are looking at possibly adding a new line of blanks in the near future. BUt we are going to trim ALL of the excessive fat off this business and get back to where the profit is. I know that sounds a bit cold and well...business like, but if I have to choose to do something for fun, I am going to go fishing, not sit in my hot workshop and turn reelseats and assemble buffing setups!

In addition, I will be clearencing down a TON of stuff from cork grips and reelseats to the last of the AllStar closeouts. Keep an eye on the website for some huge savings on this stuff.

I know there are a lot of you who have tried to contact me in the past several weeks, and my response has been less than satisfactory. But I want you to know it has been for good reason. Both my wife and mother have recently been experiencing some health problems that have rerquired my full attention. In addition I have been moving my business, and home. The kicker is that the new home is way out in the country, where this is literelly NO internet service, so it's back to dial up for the time being!

So, please accept my apology for not living up to the level of service I have hopefully come to be associated with.

Thanks again for your patience during these past few weeks,

Andy Dear

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update on Lamar Manf.
Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:05AM

Andy- We all would prefer that you keep working your a*& off for free. Just kidding. You have provided great service to the rod building community and now it's time to make some $ from it. We'll be with you. Best wishes for a profitable year! David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, NC

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:20AM

Good to hear you're almost back up & running Andy. I've been waiting for you to get back to order some mandrels...lovely hearing they'll be more expensive! HA! Just kidding. Believe me I understand the cost of goods increase of the past couple of years. Being in the restaurant business I deal with this ten fold. We try to keep prices the same for as long as we can, but when more money goes out than comes in it's time to go up. It seems the past year or so we have seen explosive increases...but I can only go up so much at a time or risk running everone off (oh the joys of owning a restaurant). Anyway, glad to see you back & I'll be in contact sometime in July about those mandrels.

Jay Lancaster
Harkers Island, NC

PS. David I'm not sure if I know you or not, but you should come over to the Island for a visit sometime. Don't let that 10 minute ride keep you away! I'm at the Captain's Choice. Jay

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 01:28PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: May 23, 2005 11:15AM

Jay- I'll be glad to. Give me a shout at dlsada@lycos.com and we'll get together.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 01:23PM

Andy,
Will you selling out your remaing stock of stabilized wood?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 09:32PM

I assume that you are only discontinuing custom reel seat insert for new customers......

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Michael Abraham (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:20AM

Best wishes for your family's speedy recovery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster