I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help: # of Epoxy Coats
Posted by: scott gillman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 02:48PM

Help! I just completed another cod rod: epoxied the underwrap and over wrap with thin coats of Clear Coat. Then I put on another coat to finish, but there were a few pimples and pot-holes. So, I abraded with scotch brite and added another coat. Darn near perfect, but some guides still had break-free pot holes. I decided to apply one more thin coat and it came out like crap!!! One guide also had a hair on it - my hair! How many epoxy layers it too much???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help: # of Epoxy Coats
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 03:18PM

When you get a particular wrap perfect...leave it alone. Fix the ones that aren't perfect. Dont worry about a particular number of coats..just as long as it doesn't look bulbous.

Keith

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2005 06:06PM

Any applications that are made within a day or two tend to meld together into one single coat. Any applications that are made more than a few days apart, are true individual coats. Don't worry about two many applications, worry about too much finish to the extent that it begins to add enough weight that rod performance might be affected.

Date: May 22, 2005 09:28PM

Thanks. That's my concern. WEIGHT. I'll give it one last coat tomorrow morning. Is there any benefit to me using scothcbright or wiping down with a lot of isopropyl? Would that prevent the pitting and break-free pools?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:14PM

If it has been less than about 48 hours since your last application, no. In fact, wiping with alcohol may be causing your problem. Never, never, never, use a solvent wipe as your last step before finishing.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:25PM

If the reason you want to wipe down is to remove the dust after abrading(after at least a 48 hr time frame of settting up) you may be better off blowing it off with the canned air used to clean computer parts and key boards,or a soft brush.I have on occasion scufffed and coated without cleaning off the wrap afterwards and had great results anyway.The new epoxie acts the same with the epoxy dust as it does with the dull finish you just abraded and makes it invisible.I also feel better when I clean off the wrap before hand and use low pressure compressed air so as to not stir up the dust in the finish area.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: May 22, 2005 11:37PM

AAAAAH! I've been spraying the epoxy with isopropyl and wiping it down. I didn't know that was a problem if it's been less than 48 hours. Darn!! 'Good thing for this web site!!! I'll carefully apply one more coat tomorrow (20 hours of dry time). Thanks again.

Post Removed
Posted by: ktymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:39AM

Post removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 01:10PM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster