I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Cleaning
Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 01:15PM

Some where I read it but can't find it. Is Pledge ok to use for rod cleaning? ie. is there any teflon in it?
I'd call Monday but I have to give the rod back today.

Dan Hogan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Cleaning
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 03:23PM

To just clean a rod I use just soap and water. Then I dry it off. When this is done I use a good hard wood floor past wax. Put wax on let it dry and then just buff it to a high sheen (with a cotton towel if it is a glossy blank) If it is a flat finish just buff it off with a towel.. The wax well also protect the blank from small scratches and ware buff markes.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 21, 2005 03:36PM

Ok, thanks. My wife probably has a muli-lifetime supply of Lemom Pledge, I was wondering if it had any
"silicone" in it.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2005 03:42PM

Pledge and Behold are what I've used over the years. Clean the rod first with soap and water, dry and apply. A couple applications per season makes subsequent cleanings much easier. There's nothing in either that will harm your rod or lines.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 05:34PM

At this point you do not have to wory about silicon on a completed rod. Just don't et the stuff on blanks. It is alway wise to wash a rod before repairing one.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 07:57PM

Dan,

Pledge (lemon spray) is a silicone oil. It won't hurt your rods or lines as Tom said, but personally, I'd keep it out of the rod shop since it can resist common clean-up solvents.

Behold is probably a better cleaner (solvent) and it is based on a heavy naphtha.... similar to VM+P naphtha which is lighter and will evaporate a faster than something like mineral spirits. Naptha doesn't carry the same contamination threat of the silicone oils which can readily migrate to nearby surfaces.

Mark

Date: May 21, 2005 11:05PM

Mark, Thanks. The contents of Pledge solves the answer. I used Epoxy in aircraft and boats and silicone caused many head aches. NO PLEDGE in the shop for me.for me.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 12:21PM

Dan, Glad to help out and I think it's good at least to know what you're dealing with. The question about Pledge came up a few years ago on another forum because some folks were using it as a boat polish. A ot of people think of the polishes as waxes, but the resulting shine is simply the coating of silicone oil sitting on the surface. The other downside in that boat application is that there's no UV protection.

Another product you might want to be aware of is Reel Magic, which is also a silicone oil. I analyzed these myself, so I'm confident of the information. The main concern in this case is silicone contamination, which can be a major headache in any surface finishing operation. Silicone oils have a very low surface energy and they are very mobile, so they have the potential to migrate to surfaces all over your shop. Silicones are essentially insoluble in water and most organic solvents don't work well to dissolve and clean them either. If you suspect a contamination problem look for solvents containing toluene or heptane.

mark

Date: May 22, 2005 06:58PM

I used alcohol, soap and water to clean the rod and then gave it a light coat of furniture wax. Thanks for the info on Reel Magic, I haven't used it and won't.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 02:36PM

A rod repair instructor once told me the best way to clean a fishing rod , was a hot shower. The steam from the shower will help loosen dirt and residue. Use a sponge with mild dish detergent (DAWN) lather up the rod and rinse under the shower flow. Air or wipe dry with towel, after which a citrus type furniture polish or a good automotive wax can be applied. This is an excelent form of multi-tasking as you can clean your self and a fishing rod too.
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster