I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Motor Controller Help
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 10:52PM

I'm trying to build a drier using a sewing maching motor. It is 90W and .9 amps. I'm having a hard time finding something to slow the motor way down. I tried a ceiling fan switch rated for 3 amps but it wouldn't go slow enough. I can't seem to locate a variable speed motor controller either. Everyone knows what they are but they don't have one. Would a rheostat work maybe? If so, I can't seem to locate any. The hardware stores and Radio Shack don't know what they are. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Motor Controller Help
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.66.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 11:08PM

See if you can find one on E Bay or find a sewing shop and get one
Some one here should have one laying around

Posted by: Ed Wong (---.com)
Date: May 20, 2005 11:45PM

If the motor is a universal type, the speed can be reduced with a speed controller such as the type used with a router. Places that carry wood working power tools might have these types of speed controllers. However this may not be an ideal set up for a drier. When universal motors are slowed way down, they tend to "cog". That is, the rotation of the motor is not smooth, but jerky. This is a limitation of the motor design. Even if you use a pulley setup like the power wrappers, depending on the drier speed, it still may be too jerky. The geared down motors such as those used in clocks are better suited for this type of application.

Ed

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 05:26AM

Go to @#$%& Rod building and Repair under the Sporting goods-Fishing area there are several drier motors for sale

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.r1.scrgwy.infoave.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 08:53AM

Couldn't you use a dimmer switch for a lamp, which is a type of reostat, and found at any Lowes, Home Depot, etc......???
Good luck. pb

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 09:13AM

You will also have trouble with sewing machine motors over-heating trying to maintain a low rpm while under load. A low-rpm brushless motor is a cheap and trouble free fix.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 10:22AM

id do what barry said ed theres a bunch od rod dryers for next to nothing on @#$%& just type in rod dryer

Posted by: Matt wilson (---.uscg.mil)
Date: May 21, 2005 11:00AM

Easiest, cheapest thing to do.......go down to Home depot or Lowes and get yourself a rotisserie (terrible spelling) attachment for a grill. It'll cost you 20 bucks, and you don't have to worry about dimmer switches or any of that stuff. It's already a low rpm motor, perfect speed for drying rods and it's designed to run for a while so you don't have to worry about burning it out if you leave it on over night. It comes with a metal rod that attaches to it with threads on the end ( i guess to hook up another attachent to stick your chicken on). I just got myself a PVC coupling, and threw some thumb screws in it and had myself a perfect low rpm drying motor with very little effort modifying it. about $22 all together. Good luck with the project,

Matt

Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 11:04AM

There is a place here locally called EPO, I bought some 40RPM 120v motors for $1.95 each. They are kind of a "liquidator" store and have TONS of neat stuff (computer parts, stuff to make your own circuit boards, electronic parts, etc...). You might try to see if they have something around you like that, or go to allelectronics.com and take a look around.

Jason

Post Removed
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 12:09PM

Post Removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2005 05:55PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:19PM

Ed, you would probably be better off ignoring the sewing machine motor for drying purposes. Just purchase an 18 RPM motor from one of the sponsors, and talk to them about how you can adapt the motor shaft diameter to fit on a grip/blank.

There are various ways to make "chucks" for drying grips/blanks. Do a search of previous posts to get ideas.

Hope this helps a little.

Stan

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 03:03PM

www.surpluscenter.com

Bought a 30 rpm and an 4 rpm timing motor for 5 bucks or so. 30 works great for applying finish and 4 for the dryer. I tried keeping the 30 on and it made the finish wick from the center of the wraps and do funky things. The 4 makes glass!

This was from advice by someone on this board...can't remember, but kudos to them for making my time building much more enjoyable.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:25PM

Hi Ed,
Another option providing you have the tools to adapt shaft sizes from one to the other would be a gear reduction of the motor you have now. I went a little overboard with my reduction of a 7000-rpm sewing machine motor and brought it down to about 1 rpm. This is too slow as it makes straight lines with coatings on the edge of thread wraps time consuming.
One thought would be an old Farberware Rotisserie motor you could adapt to, barring the first gear if your motor is at 7000-rpm like mine. The square shaft hole in the Farberware Rotisserie is 5/16 inch and the 5/16" metal stock can be found at most hardware stores.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster