I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Candy apple Wraps"
Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 12:49AM

I have seen this out here before, but did a search and came up empty handed. I am building a rod for someone that wants to match the paint on her Dasds Motorcycle. It just happens to be a Candy apple red bike, with gold trim. I have heard of people underwrapping the candy apple thread with gold to get a better candy apple affect. I have tried it with gold mylar, and Sulky holo-shimmer in gold on a test blank. I am wondering if there is a better way? Who all has tried this before and what did you use for the underwrap?

Thanks
Kirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Candy apple Wraps"
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 06:21AM

Kirk,I tried it with the foil tape that is sold at the discount auto stores for fake rocker mouldings(Pep Boys,Strauss....).Just cut to length and wrap around the blank,then wrap over with regular nylon thread and the effect is candy apple.I believe that Mud hole sells a mylar type tape for the same purpose.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 07:42AM

Here's one with Silver under, Candy Apple Red Nylon over, no CP:

[www.fishingphotos.net]

I have one with regular Gold under as well which looks great.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 08:56AM

In Artie Heberts "Advanced Rod Making Techniques", he under wraps with Gold thread thread then over wraps with red (209), looks good on tape. I haven't tried it yet.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.11.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 11:18AM

billy, nice wraps. i see you said you used no CP. i take that to mean no CP on the overlining red thread, but did you happen to use CP over the base layer first to help create a level pltform to build the top layer onto? anybody else do this? i tried the two layer wrap idea with silver on the bottom and gudebrod medium green on top for a rainforest fly rod. it looks really nice and even though the top layer of thread had a few openings, very slight allowing the silver to show through even more (which still kind of worked) my intention was to create a smooth top layer. iwasn;t quite successful with that even with one layer of CP.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2005 01:06PM

I've done it with great success.
I first wrapped gudebrod pale gold metallic size A thread,
then overwrapped with gudebrode scarlet red size D.
I used no colour preserver on anything and, only applied my flexcoat
after all wraps were complete.
The look is quite stunning, and very easy to achieve!
Using silver under blue is fantastic as well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 20, 2005 01:57PM

I apply a thin coat of finish over the metallic underwrap and then the overwrap. I use "A" thread for both No CP . Really nice affect

Mike

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 03:51PM

Never use a NPC thread when going for a candy apple effect. NPC will impead the cany look
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 08:09PM

I do as Mike Barkley stated, a lite coat of epoxy over teh underwrap.

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 12:00AM

I appreciate everyones inputs. I am not sure which way I am going to go, but I a leaning towards underwrapping with holo-shimmer. I don't think it will be an exact match of what I am aiming for, but it should look pretty cool anyways. I will be able to get the basic theme down. If any of you have ever thought about trying Holo-Shimmer I highly reccomend it. It definatly dresses up the rod. I am not one for a lot of flash but folks I have made rods for that are love it. It is pretty easy to work with too. You have to pay a bit more attention when finishing it as it tends to fisheye a bit, but its definately workable. Well off to the bench...........TIght Wraps everyone

Kirk

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 02:03PM

Has anyone concidered metalic gold or metalic silver paint, on the area to be wrapped, also maybe the guide feet , unless they are already gold or silver, most body and fender men shoot an under color coat before topping with candy.
Larry

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 06:22PM

I tried the Artie Hebert technique. Metallic Gold with an over wrap of Gudebrod 209 red, and no CP.
Came out a very good Candy Apple red. Just like in his video.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 07:44PM

Larry, in my eyes, (without trying the metallic paint) the metallic thread is shinier than the gold metallic paint. I think it would look a bit nicer with the thread than it would with the paint. Just my humble thoughts, though. Again, I haven't tried it with the metallic paint...

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster