I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap and New Concept
Posted by: Ted Bateman (---.8-67.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 06:12PM

I'm new at this so if this is dumb, sorry.... I'm building a 6 ft. medium heavy to heavy action casting rod for mainly plastic worm and spinner bait fishing. My question is, can these two methods be combined? I'm leaning toward the spiral wrap. I've never had a rod wrapped this way and want to try it. So again, can I combine the spiral wrap along with the new concept guide system or is this a no-no?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap and New Concept
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 06:19PM

Ted,
The New Concept system is used to set up the guides on a spinning rod so the guides will already be on the bottom of the rod. A spiral wrap is a technique for rotating the guides from on top to the bottom of a conventional, non-spinning rod. So with a spinning rod a spiral wrap is not necessary, the guides are already on the bottom.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2005 06:22PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 07:19PM

At least part of the new guide concept is the idea that you use smaller and lighter guides so I guess you could combine them in that respect. Personally I'd just use the spiral and always use the smallest guides needed anyway. There was a great article on a good spiral wrap version in the last issue of Rodmaker.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 07:37PM

Ken,
You are absolutely right. I stand corrected.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 08:18PM

If you stay with a blank rated somewhere around 3/8 to 1 oz in lure weight you will probably be ok for both, any heavier than that and I don't think it will be much of a spinnerbait rod. Personally I use different rods for both and at least a 6 ft 6 in blank, now days there is a much better selection of blanks 6 1/2 - 7 ft blanks for little or no difference in price. I liked the shorter rods you mentioned when I was fishing from my canoe.
I've heard of many starting to use the 5 - 6 ft rods again for accurate presentations to pressured fish, but the rods are much lighter tipped than you're mentioning. Whatever you do I wouldn't put a pistol grip handle on it if you fish it a lot, your wrist will last longer.
I spiral wrap just about everything for bass anymore, and start with nothing larger than a #12 stripping guide and use single foot fly guides for the rest.
Good luck on the rod and the fishing. Caught lots of bass off the Tamiami and other places when I was in the Coast Guard down there.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 08:47PM

I agree 100% with what Spencer said. I prefer a medium powered blank for spinners. I have a hard time getting any accuracy with a rod that is rated for lures over 1 oz. I have also gone to using blanks that are 6' to 6'8" with shorter butt grips. I fish out of a kayak or wade and we do throw spinnerbaits in the salt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster