I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestion on Thread Colours/Guide finishes
Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.108.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 08:48PM

My Cousin gave me this really old 7 foot medium action rod this weekend to refurbish. I believe it is fiberglass and a sort of Pumkin orange. It is the strangest colour you can imagine and I think that is partly why he likes it so much. Anyway I have been stripping off the old guides which have been wrapped with a garnet coloured thread wrap and a underwrap of white, which is not even thread but white paint. The guides are old Fugi double footed chrome finish with black rings and white inserts. It is very plain looking and I was hoping to perhaps stick with a double footed guide as a stripping guide and then change his double footed guide set to a single footed guides. I was wondering if anyone has finished a similar coloured blank and had some suggestion for thread colour combos and guide finishes that would give this old retrobate some WOW factor. As I said he seems to like the attention this Pumkin stick attracts so I thought lets have some fun with the colours that wrap this rod up.
Ok guys lets have them.

Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestion on Thread Colours/Guide finishes
Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:25PM

Pumpkin is nothing...............[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 10:45AM

Did you say Pumpkin colored? heheheh Why not choose a green, yellow, and maybe dark brown color scheme. If it looks like pumpkin skin, make a jack-o-latern out of it. That'll get some looks. If you really wanted to go wild, go to Mudhole and purchase some of those single footer halo guides in green or yellow.

Endless possibilities!

Domenic

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 03:14PM

Steve,

I just redid and old and cherished piece of cr*p rod for a friend. It was that funny pumpkin color, the metal trigger reel seat was brown and the old guide wraps were black/white twist over a painted black 'underwrap'. Had all steel guides.

I replaced the guides with gold frame single foots, except for the stripper, used a double foot there. Used bright green/black twist rayon thread for the guide wraps. Painted the reel seat bright green. Did a three inch black butt wrap with green amhearst pheasant feather inlay. Came out pretty spiffy for a base rod that you can buy for fifty cents at most swap meets or garage sales.

Guys a friend, he loves the rod, and broke a guide and asked me to 'fix' it. Wait until he sees it!! The surprise on his face will be worth the effort....

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 02:14AM

Steve, Selecting colors can be simplified by actually wrapping strips of each color you are cinsidering on the blank. You do not need to use thread to narrow the field. Any color you see in a magazine is helpful. If you don't mind forfeiting the page, jsut cut a strip of the color and wrap it on the blank. Attach with a tiny piece of clear tape. Old magazines are great sources for this. Color samples from any paint department are another source. Color charts from an art supply store are also great. The fact remains that nothing will be as helpful as actually looking at the colors side by side. Let your eye dictate the combinations that it finds appealing. Enter the process with an open mind without eliminating any color as a possibility. Do this under good lighting conditions. It is important the there is no border separating the color sample from the blank. After you find a few colors that really pplease your eye, tape them up with some distance between each. cover all but one section at a time and step back and look. Then, after some time, coer it up and try another selection. REpeat this...and your eye will lead you to your favorite among them. Trim can be determined the same way, but here you might prefer to use thread. It will only take a few wraps to see how the colors interact. A good tip is to walk away for a while and then return for a fresh view. Sometimes I let the blanks stand nearby with the color combinations taped up (or wrapped on) so that I can study them briefly over the course of several days. It is a pleasant way to ease into the selection of the final choice.

A color wheel is also helpful in narrowing your selections. The wheel will show you the colors that are related to orange. The relationships between colors follow scientific rules. This does not mean these rules are necessarily the best solutions for any particular person or project. They do, however, give one a good starting point.

Just as each rod builder has had to train themselves in the use of the tools and materials of the craft, the skill of color selection can be improved through careful attention and experimentation. Unless one is truly color blind there is no reason a person cannot raise their level of color sensibility. The key is to keep an open mind and learn to slow down and let your eyes discover what truly is pleasing to them. It is like developing a taste for a new music or a new food. Through practice one will realize their tastes are improving. Your color selections are as much a signature of your custom work as any other part of the rods you build. If the client dictates the colors that's different. When the choice is up to you it is an opportunity to add your personal touch to your custom rod.
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster