I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Problem
Posted by: Rick Gilman (---.156.228.247.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 08:41PM

I am having trouble getting the finish to stay on the threads where they come off of top of the guides. This is a heavy stand up rod using sprial roller guides and size D thread. I have four coats of flex coat hi build on the guide wraps and I can still see the lines of the threads. i tried a light sanding around the guide edges with 600 paper between coats 3 & 4 but the same thing happened, the finish doesn't want to stay on that edge. Should I just keep putting on more flex coat until the threads finely cover or is there something else i could try. As always thanks for your help. Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Problem
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 08:57PM

RICK,
I think I'm reading your post correctly, the epoxy is not sticking to the threads next to the rod blank ......
is this area clean ? cleaned with Alcohol ? did you clean entire rod after finished with your wraps ? something from your hands get on blank ? or on your thread ?

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Rick Gilman (---.156.228.175.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 09:31PM

David, no where the thread comes in contact with the rod blank is OK. The problem I am having is where the thread comes over the top of the guide feet . and to answer your question, yes after I did the light sanding i cleaned the area with Alcohol. I hope this makes my 1st post a little clearer. Thanks for your responce. Rick

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2005 09:44PM

On heavy thread it may take a few coats. There is a little trick you can use to cover those "edges." Apply the finish and let it start to get thick. Now at some point you'll be able to dip a toothpick into the finish mix cup and when you lift it out, the finish will cling to it and follow it up like a long string. Too soon and it will just draw up in a glob, too late and it will pull out in a very, very long string. You must hit that perfect window.

When you do, take that string of finish hanging an inch or so off the end of your toothpick and drape it along that edge all along the guide foot. It's still viscuous enough that it'll eventually settle in and flow out, but not so much that it will leave the edge. This is a really helpful trick once you get the hang of it.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 08:06AM

I thought I was the only one who did that! :) Works great for marbleing effects as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster