I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you order a blank?
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 12:52PM

The only blank I have, I heard my friend order it over the phone, way last november. All I heard him say was a tip flex, IM6 Factory grade 1, 9' 4wt. I know IM6 refers to modulus. but I've only heard of IM6 & 7. How would you order a higher modulus? Also I have read about the ERN of a rod? How do you order a rod and specify all these things.....should I just be asking these questions of a rod blank supplier? I just don't understand all the bulletin boards talk about ERN's and modulus, and stuff about their rod.....when I don't see any of that information in rod ordering catalogs.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you order a blank?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 02:05PM

Jim--give us a call and I'd be happy to work through all such stuff with you! We CC enough of our blanks to have a very solid feel for which blanks would be the best fit for your needs. Our toll-free number is 1-866-FLY-RODS.

Warmly,

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 03:18PM

John will get you what you need, at a great price to boot!

I emailed him late last night for a quotation, he sent it this morning, I sent payment, he confirmed it, and hopefully seven blanks and lots of etc. will be here in a few days. Doesn't get much easier than that!

Highly recommended.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 05:08PM

Jim,

Look through Vendor/manufacturer catalogs/websites to familiarize yourself with various blank lines/series to see what is available. All blanks within a series (all St. Croix SCIII for example) are the same modulus. CC and ERN have not been adopted by any manufacturer's/vendors yet (as far as I know). Builders that use these, do them theirselves. Their are numbers for many blanks posted on the CCS database on the left.

What a "factory" grade blank is, I have no idea. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that has different "grades" of a particular blank.
If you post a question about a particular type of rod you would like to build, you will probably get many suggestions/opinions.

If you haven't doe so already, you should get catalogs from the various manufacturer for reference.

I would make it a point to get Mudholes catalog as IMO it is the biggest/best, most informative catalog on the market 100+ pages of helpful information and pictures

Mike

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 06:49PM

Thank you men. There is nothing better than word of mouth recommendation. I have had far too many experiences by just picking a vendor out of the yellow pages so to speak. I am quite interested in all this technical stuff. I intend to learn all about it because I find it just plain fun. And I like nothing more than to come up with an MOP. Method of Procedure. Like Tom referred to and painting by the numbers. I will be buying books and reading and asking questions. This is such a class board.

I think when my friend said a factory grade 1 he was merely stating he didn't want a blem. But the Cabela's catalog doesn't refer to the actual modulus of any rod. And where you get an ERN number for a rod you have chosen is beyond me. It will come.

As to creating an MOP for the backbone of a spine, that's where I got frustrated. Of course I haven't read Tom's book yet....which I am wondering where to purchase from. I don't see a place here on this site to order it. It is not in the buy/sell menu.

But that spine/spline/backbone, sofest side/ stiffest side/ not necessarily not 180 out......got to me.

I must be the dumbest Supervisor - Microwave Tower, Antenna, and Waveguide Engineering......to have ever retired from Corporate headquarters at AT&T.

Thanks again men.

Jim

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:04PM

Ignore the spine, just use the straightest axis. If you look on the FAQ page, you'll find plenty about the spine and it all boils down to "don't worry about it." Many of the sponsors on the left sell Tom's book and Doc SKi has a good video on rod building.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 04:05PM

However, comma, when you do get a blank that is straight, which in most cases is more often that not, then I would suggest you spine the rod properly. If told not to worry about it, then don't worry about it an spine it - it takes seconds to do by hand, and if anything it can only improve that quality of the rod you produce.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster