I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bit of help: confirm my guide choices for my 6'4" UL spin
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 02:42AM

OK, using Dan Craft 3 wt, 4 piece FT blank. Using the top 3 sections and 'dumping' the butt piece for future use. This makes a 6'4" 3 piece UL rod. Will be using 12lb braided line which has the diameter of 4lb mono (supposedly) on an ultralight reel. 2-4 lb fluorocarbon leader.

I'm going to pick up guides in these sizes and configs:
SIngle foot spin - 20, 12, 8
Fly - 6,6,6,6
Top - 6

Is the above correct? Probably going with something like the TItans for lightweight. Originally wanted the Recoil for even lighter weight but decided against that.

Since we're going for minimum weight possible, using Perma-Gloss Urethane which Tom Kirkman mentioned in his book and putting a very thin finish.

Cork Tennesse handle.

Please confirm that the above is OK.? Any changes you would make?

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bit of help: confirm my guide choices for my 6'4" UL spin
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:47AM

Mo, that's just fine. I used Fuji Alconites on my 6' light spin, with the exception of a BYAG10 instead of a BYAG12, and also 1 CLAG7. It cast like a sniper's rifle. The high frame guides (A-style) suit that setup particularly well. The AmTak Titans are more than light enough not to add too much excess weight to the rod. As far as using Permagloss, that will also work fine, but the downside is you'll have to put on something in the line of 5 coats to even get it to just cover the thread smoothly. Epoxy you can apply thinly enough to get what you want in one shot.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.93.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 08:08AM

One thing you could do is if you have another set of concept guides, try them on to check the line path before ordering.
Like Ted says one coat of epoxy is a lot quicker.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2005 09:03AM

Only you can confirm those guide sizes. Follow the article on the online library page on the New Guide Concept System and see if those guides provide you with a straight line path from butt to intersect, and then from there to the tip. If so, you should be fine.

Posted by: James Wang (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 09:37AM

Since you use soft braid line and UL mono, you could go even smaller -considering that Fuji's Lowrider surf series (braid/spin) first guide is a 20. Just finished a 5-1/2 UL w/16-10-8-6-6-6 alconites. Cast great.

Date: May 17, 2005 12:21PM

THANKS to all who responded. You guys are just GREAT and much appreciated.

A couple of follow up queries then:
1. What epoxy finish will allow me the thinnest/lightest finish?
2. James (* others) IF I can indeed use a smaller guide to start with (i.e. 16), that would be great. Anyone else care to dialogue/confirm this? (Lighter, smaller, lower cost is always welcome....:)

Thanks!
Mo

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2005 05:02PM

What you really, really, really want to do, is go out and cast some different set ups. Nobody can confirm what is going to work best for you on your rod with your reel and your line. You'd only be talking a few extra dollars to buy an extra guide or two and then you could go out and confirm for yourself which set up will work best in your particular situation.

Almost anything will work with line that light, but you can still find the best set up by trying these things yourself.

Date: May 17, 2005 06:34PM

Greetings Tom,

You're absolutely right. I'm realy, really going to go out to cast, and I'm really, really going to pick up some additional guides for testing. :)

Was thinking of getting the extra guides anyway and your post pushed me over the top in that direction. THANKS! You've been incredible and much appreciated.

Mo

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: May 18, 2005 10:19AM

Mo. I would try to use a 16 if at all possible, if you are trying to get into the smallest possible rod tube. On one project I placed the guide on the male blank, just ahead of the female ferrule (which I also reinforced) to save a fraction of an inch to get into the rod tube. Buy the 20 and experiment. The thinnest finish you can get might be a undercoat of Gudebrod 840 with a coat of Klass Kote epoxy paint over that. You can also use 2 coats of Klass Kote alone, but you can often discern the individual wraps of the thread underneath, requiring a third coat if you care. Either way, much easier on the nose than the Permagloss.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster