I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to place a guide "on a ferrule"
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 16, 2005 03:59PM

I read comments about a guide on every ferrule. I just have a two piece blank. However the 54" guide comes out on the ferrule. The bottom tip of the guide foot is 1/2 inch from the actual end of the hollow tip section. So if I wrap this per the 54" mark....I will have about 5/8" of wrap on the bottom of the guide....leaving 1/16th to the actual hollow end of the ferrule. This leaves an unwrapped portion under the eye itself of 3/8"...then of course the top foot will be wrapped. I'm thinking this is ok because the bottom section sticks up into the ferrule a couple of inches. So, I figure it is ok......although I've read if no ferrule ends up near the ferrule you need to wrap a "strentening wrap" on the ferrule. Are my dimensions sort of precisely what one would do to "place a guide on the ferrule"? Or, do I need to shift this guide up a couple of inches, wrap it on....then wrap a 3/4" strengthening wrap on the ferrule?

tks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to place a guide "on a ferrule"
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 16, 2005 04:06PM

I think you're fine doing it the way you describe. If I was going to move it I would move it closer to the end not further away.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: May 16, 2005 05:01PM

You can move it into the position that will give you even wraps on both sides. You might need to adjust the next bigger guide out a bit to make up for the shift at the ferrule. I usually have the ferrule wrap a little longer than the wrap on the other side of the guide because the drop to the next section creates an illusion that the wrap is shorter than it is. The wrap on the other side of the guide adds some addition reinforcement. I guess you could argue for an extra wrap a 1/4 away on the other side of a single foot, though I have never seen it done.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 16, 2005 08:11PM

Thanks Don and Gerry. I hadn't been anywhere where the guide on ferrule was explained but I figured it would be ok. After all, it has the bottom section stuck up in it. Mine's gonna work out just as you, Don, said about a tad more thread wrap on the bottom guide. Since that is indeed ok.....it will be perfect. Thanks....I feel more better now. To all you guys some of your words and sentences are from a brain that is very experienced and has a lot of data in the bank to draw on. I am just a guy who took two dark green 55"sticks out of a tube.....and I wanna turn them into a fly rod. (I think by databank suffered a couple of static electricity jolts)

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I am comfortable with how it is going to go together now.

Jim

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 01:47PM

I've always heard that ferrule wraps should be 1.5 or 2 times the diameter of the opening of the tip section. If you just wrap your guide like normal right on the edge of the tip section, you should get the needed distance to accomplish the 1.5X or 2X, AND you get to have a guide wrap the same length as the other guide wraps. I've done it this way for quite awhile, and I've never had any trouble.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster