I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Factory Decals-are they.....
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2005 10:08PM

available from any of the manufacturer's for their rod blanks?

This may sound silly.....but it seems to me that most of the makers should INCLUDE rod logo's with their blanks....I can dream can't I? :-)

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Factory Decals-are they.....
Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 14, 2005 10:13PM

All first quality rod blanks do come with decals or labels. Seconds, blems, etc., do not.

I would think that this is one good reason the manufacturers do not easily pass out their decals and labels. They don't want people sticking them on blanks that are not first quality.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: May 14, 2005 11:18PM

my dan craft sig V blank and pac bay rainforest blanks have all come with labels. the only other blank i've tried so far have beeen batson forecast (rx6) which did not have a label.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: May 15, 2005 02:28AM

I used to order some AllStar Elite blanks, and there were no decals supplied, too

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.nas2.spartanburg2.sc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: May 15, 2005 09:53AM

Duane,

The inclusion of a decal with rod blanks is a business decision that all manufacturers make. Some choose to include them and some don't and it's not necessarily a decision based on the quality of the blank - it's a matter of business philospophy. I can tell you that if it were my business I would choose NOT to include a decal with my blanks no matter the quality. I personally would not want my good name on a blank where the builder or hobbyist did second or third rate work. I would want my name ONLY on completed rods where I maintain control over the appearance and quality. Some manufacturers of top quality rods (Eric mentions 2 of them) include decals. It's not that they're wrong, they just choose a different approach to business.

I make a series of rods which I sell through a few local outlets that have a distinct appearance. All of them have my company name on them. These rods are custom only within the range of available blanks that I can get from the same manufacturer, the reel seats are the same and the colors and other markings are the same. In that respect some would not consider them a true "custom" rod. I will gladly make a "custom" rod using any blank, reel seat, thread color, etc. the customer may want but I do not place my company name on them; only my name and/or the clients name if they want it. I don't want my "custom" work to be confused with my "factory" work. I'll never be anywhere near the size of Sage, Scott, Loomis, etc. but it still a business concern and this how I choose to adress it. Someone else who may have a similar operation could choose to do just the opposite and be just as right . It's just a matter of choice and those choices evolve over time. I've always found it interesting that Fenwick, when it was a real top of the line blank, always included a decal. Now that they no longer command the same status among builders as they once did, you can't get a decal - go figure.

I guess I've taken a long, round abaout way to tell you that I wouldn't let the inclusion or absence of a decal influence my decision to purchase or not purchase particular brand. There are excellent quality (and poor quality) blanks both with and without a decal. There are a lot of excellent builders that frequent this board who can tell you about almost any blanks you can name. The CC Data site is also very helpful

Sam

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2005 11:03AM

I don't buy as many blanks as I once did, but in all my years purchasing blanks, I never saw a first quality blank that did not have either a decal, label, sticker, etc. included with it or on it.

Sam,

The easiest solution to your concerns (if you were a manufacturer) is to locate the sticker/label down on the butt where the handle will cover over it. But at least it will be there to identify it as a first quality product at the time of sale. The Batson and All Stars I have received were done that way. St. Croix also puts their factory label right at the very butt end, but also includes a separate decal in the shipping bag.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.nas2.spartanburg2.sc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: May 15, 2005 11:43AM

Tom

I agree with your point about the markings on the butt end of a blank. Most reputable blank manufacturers will mark their blanks in some manner as a means of addressing future warranty claims and things of that nature. In support of you point, I just received 2 blanks - a PacBay with a conspicuios decal intended for placement above the handle and an Allstar that included no decal and was marked more subtlely at a spot that will be covered by the reel seat (fly rod). The remarks in my post were aimed more at the inclusion of decals that contained registered trademarks and other copy-righted materials that are intended to be highly visable on the finished rod. Anywhere that I've ever worked, we have always been extremely cautious and particular over what items we allowed our company logos and slogans to appear on. I've chosen to take the same approach with my own personal items and I am sympathetic to blank manufacturers who share that sentiment. Manufacturers in both camps have been successful. I just wanted to point out that the absence of a decal like the ones that appear on the finsihed rod is not necessarily a guage as to the quality of the blank.

Sam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster