I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

large butts
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:04PM

I bought a couple blanks and turns out they have - well one for sure - prettly large butt diameter. Big one measures 15/16 inch at the base.

Where the heck can I get a graphite reel seat with a trigger (casting rod style) preferable with a gold hoods. I see some Fuji's that say size 20 and 22 but will they be big enough? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: large butts
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:58PM

You'll need to measure the outside diameter of the blank where you intend the seat to reside. The #20 and #22 seats are 20mm and 22mm respectively inside diameter. That's around 7/8ths inch ID.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2005 11:42PM

Order size 20 & 22 seats, see if they fit. Only cost you $10-$15.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: May 14, 2005 11:11AM

Ouch trial and error is expensive. Do like Tom says and measure where the reel seat will be set and then call a sponser on the left and have them measure a reel seat for you. They may already have a answer for you. It will save you $10-15

Date: May 14, 2005 12:10PM

Actually it won't save you $10-$15, it will save you $5-$7.50, as one of them will fit. THen yopu can use the other one on a future rod. All builders should have one of each size reel seat, and one size of each guide, tip, butt cap - it will save so much aggravation in the future, and won't cost all that much at all. Imagine getting a blank, and knowing exactly what fits prior to placing an order

Date: May 14, 2005 12:10PM

Actually it won't save you $10-$15, it will save you $5-$7.50, as one of them will fit. THen yopu can use the other one on a future rod. All builders should have one of each size reel seat, and one size of each guide, tip, butt cap - it will save so much aggravation in the future, and won't cost all that much at all. Imagine getting a blank, and knowing exactly what fits prior to placing an order

Re: large butts (more big butts)
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2005 11:45PM

Big one measures 15/16 inch at the base? I have blanks that are a whopping 1-1/4" in dia at the butt, use them to build anchor rods for pin-rigging for king mackerel from piers.

Having the entire range of real seat sizes allows you to just eyeball the approx size and try a reel seat in that range. Usually the first try fits, sometimes have to try another.

I went grabbed a blank from my stock that's 9' long and also approx 1" at the butt. I slid a Fuji TDPSD-22 triggered reel seat and it slid and stopped at a point where the center of the reel seat measures 14.5" from the center of the reel seat to the butt end of the blank - thats pretty close to the end of the butt for a reel seat on a rod this size. So it appears that a size 22 is ok, can be moved up for greater spacing.

I also measured a size 20 fuji trigger reel seat, slid it onto the blank, and same measurement as above is 21.5". If your butt to center of reel seat is this length or greater then this reel seat would work too. Can't make it any less cause the reel seat is already bottomed out at that measurement.

Both these measurements were on a blank that's approx 1" in dia at butt end, 9' long.

Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2005 11:56PM by Lou Reyna.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster