I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Overbored Cork Foregrip Help
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 10:24AM

I just received the forecast spey blank in the mail yesterday and am excited to begin the construction. When checking the order and getting my construction thoughts aligned, I noticed that the butt section of the spey blank is smaller than the foregrip bore on the cork grip right out of the box. Any suggestions? Should I arbor it like a I would the real seat?

Another problem, this has happened on more than one occasion, the nickle winding check that I received as part of the kit is larger in diameter than the spot it needs to sit when the butt section of the rod is assemled. Not way too large, but enough that it flops around with about a 1/32" - 1/16" of an inch in play. How do I handle this issue?

And finally, if you answer all three of these issues for me you win a small worthless prize!, does the cork grip taper to larger diameter as it goes toward the winding check and hook keeper area or the reverse. I believe I saw a spey rod cork foregrip on the OLN channel that had the thicker portion toward the top of the grip and tapered smaller as it neared the reelseat.

Thanks ahead of time,

Domenic Federico

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overbored Cork Foregrip Help
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:05AM

Which way you want the taper is a matter of personal preference. I've begun having mine smaller at the seat and larger as you move away from it, both butt and foregrips.

How much too large is the foregrip? Think about shimming with heavy D or E thread, or even some nylon twine. Wrap in close spirals, maybe 1/4inch apart. This makes a good shim that fully supports the entire length of the grip.

The winding check can be glued to the grip face. You can then push the thread trim wrap at the fore end of the grip under the space left there. That's not a large amount so I think you can make do with your current winding check. Better to be a little too loose than a little too tight.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:13AM

Tom-

Ok, name your fly.....(please, not the micro sized dry flys!) and send me an email with your address. I drop them in the mail Monday.

Domenic Federico

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:47AM

You don't need to send me anything. I'd never get time to fish with it anyway.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 12:39PM

Tom,

Doesn't it just absolutely suck that the love of the sport has pushed us into endeavors where we no longer have time to enjoy it?

There's something fundamentally wrong here. I need to look at my priorities.

Your reply hit me hard.

Buddy

Posted by: Dirk Gaertner (---.excon.de)
Date: May 13, 2005 08:34AM

Hi

here in germany we use a special pu-glue, normalliy used by carpenters, exspecially for glueing window frames. This one component glue reacts with humidity and change afterthat to a very dense foam which fill all gaps between cork and blank. very usefull stuff. manufacturer here is a company called ponal maybe you can obtain it or something similar in the states.
please excvuse my poor american language skills.

best regards dirk

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: May 13, 2005 11:32AM

Domenic, the thread shimming method is very good, also you can use drywall tape as shims, or you can use an old piece of rod blank that fits over the blank and fills the gap, this can be glued on tight, and there would be no flex in handle. I use this method when building ice rods when the ID of the cork is too large for the blank. good luck galen Briese

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster