I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping and Baitcasting blanks ..... ?
Posted by: Mal Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: May 11, 2005 04:31PM

Could someone on the board tell me the "real differences" between a popping and a bait casting rod blank ?

I'm looking at one of the sponsers current rod-blank catalogues, and am a bit confused ...... ! The tapers seem very similar
on spinning, popping and the baitcasting blanks. The blanks I am looking at are Allstar series in the Elite and Titanium range.
Has anyone had experiences with these series of rod blanks, as Ive heard good things about them.

Many thanks
Mal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping and Baitcasting blanks ..... ?
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: May 11, 2005 07:21PM

MaL

As far as I know you can no longer get All Star blanks since they were bought out by shakespere last year.

Rolly

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 07:42PM

Many time there are no diferences between the faster actioned spinning and baitcasting blanks other than how they appear in the catalog.
For instance the same blank may be listed as a 3 power baitcasting blank and a 4 power spinning blank. Just trying to list the blanks in a way they hope the customers will understand them.
The popping blanks are usually a little more moderately actioned, they flex a little further down in the blank while casting or fighting a fish.
Pac Bay and others may still have some All Star blanks around, but the selection and availability can only get worse.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 12, 2005 12:09PM

"Casting" and "spinning" blanks generally have a fairly stout butt section, with the blank only naturally flexing into the upper third of the rod. (Of course, under heavy load, it would bend further.)

Most "popping" blanks will naturally flex much deeper into the butt section than a typical "casting" or "spinning" blank. I'm not sure what the original purpose of a "popping" blank is/was, but they make phenomenal crankbait blanks IMO, as they'll bend way into the butt when a fish grabs the crankbait, allowing the angler to keep more fish hooked. Typical "casting" and "spinning" blanks generally have too fast an action for crankbaits; it's much easier to pull hooks out with the "casting" or "spinning" blanks.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 12:22PM

Popping rods were developed for inshore coastal fishing using shrimp/bait under a popping cork. They are very versatile and nice to fish with...I have several myself that don't get used nearly as much as I'd like....Bret

Posted by: Mal Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: May 25, 2005 05:13PM

Big thanks to Tom Kirkman for providing this site.

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my request on the differences between baitcasting and popping rod blanks !

Up here in Canada the term popping rod is hardly ever used ................. I do know that I favour the more thru action of a popping
rod blank over a spinning blank.

All I have to do now is find a sponsor with 7' to 7' - 6" one piece popping blanks
Thanks again.

Mal. Marlow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster