I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Alteration
Posted by: Jason Sullivan (---.phillipsplastics.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 02:04PM

This is going too basic, but I've new to altering cork.

I bought a butt cork seciton for one of my customers and want to put a mushroom shaped butt cap on it. The "flange on the butt cap is about 2 inches, but the "recessed" section of the butt cork is only about 3/4".

I can't decide whether I want to build up the butt of the blank with tape to make the butt cap fit on nice and epoxy it OR somehow cut away at the cork to make it fit.

If I had a lathe, this would be an easy answer, but I don't have much for tools.

What is the best approach?

Thanks all!

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Alteration
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.204.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 03:33PM

If you have or can borrow a drill put it on an old scrap piece of blank section that fits tight put it in the drill and sand away.

Posted by: Jason Sullivan (---.phillipsplastics.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 05:11PM

So your saying glue sandpaper to an old rod section and use that as a sanding tool?

The reamers I have are probably too course, right?

Jason

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.204.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 05:26PM

Use the drill as a lath. Put the rings or what ever you need to shape on an old piece of scrap blank, nice and tight, put the blank into the drill. Then if you can support the other end on something, turn the drill on and shape the rings with sand paper to the size you need them. I have a lath " home made " like the Flex Coat one they want to sell for 150 ?.
You can also hand shape them it just takes longer.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.0050221.lodgenet.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 05:42PM

As Bill said, go to the hardware store and buy a a short aluminum or stainless steel tube, chuck it up into a variable speed drill, support it in a notched board, and start sanding. Best to use a sanding block.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.53.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 05:44PM

i tried using a blank section first time i got the cork shaping itch. i clamped the cordless drill chuck too tightly. it still worked, but if you'd like to used that blank section a second or third time, i'd suggest filling the end with something to reinforce it. rod bond?

i now have one of andy's madrels.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 08:50PM

I use solid fiberglass blank pieces ,they wont collapse.Around this neck of the woods when heavey garbage pick up day rolls around several old boat rods can be had for the taking.(I actually found a Gloomis GL2 with a broken reel seat and fixed it for about $20.00.)Its amasing what some folks will throw out.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.64.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 12, 2005 06:46AM

Fred
Where do you live, I want to go garbage picking LOL
What I have done with the scrap blank sections so they are stronger is to sand and rod bond one section into another.
I do keep thinking about those Mandrils though.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:39AM

I picked up 3 of Andy's mandrels in Charlotte and they're really nice to use; no whipping around, steady as a rock. Flex Coat was tearing down their booth on Sunday and gave me an offer on their drill stand set-up that I couldn't refuse, too. :)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.5.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 12, 2005 11:47AM

Putter
You were in the right place at the right time

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2005 08:30PM

Goods pickings in Bay Head and Mantoloking New Jersey when they have clean up day.The people there have old school money and would rather toss it and buy new just to have new.My gain.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2005 11:05PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.57.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:48AM

I try to go to the Ritzy areas . Like you say people with money usually buy new.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster