I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lubricating ferrules, reel seat removal
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 07:33PM

I've been given a nice little cane rod. It's a H & I, a 7 1/2' 3 wt. with two tips. Not really a high end or collectors rod, but one I plan to fish.

I've rewrapped the guides, got it back into fishing shape, but I have a couple of questions for the cane rod guys out there.

I cleaned and polished the ferrules. Now I'm worried about them sticking. Do they require some type of lubrication? I head that 'old timers' just used 'body grease' or 'nose oil', but I don't want to take a chance on ruining a ferrule.

Also, the reel seat needs a new threaded nut. The old one is knurled aluminum and it's badly stripped. I've jury rigged it with an O-ring, but I'd really like to remove the seat and either acquire a new locking nut or replace the seat. What's the best way to remove a reel seat from such a rod?

Thanks for the help.

Buddy Sanders

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lubricating ferrules, reel seat removal
Posted by: Rich Margiotta (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 08:20PM

The ferrules should require no lubrication. Do not rub them on your nose -- there are acids there that wil be detrimental in the long run. Beeswax is used to help a loose fit, but if they fit tight and are not corroded, nothing is best.

If the reel seat is all metal, heat over an alochol lamp to remove. If it's wood or plastic, immerse in boiling water for 20 seconds at a time, yanking with a jar opener pad between dunks.

--Rich

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.66.14.206.138.gte.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 09:52PM

Buddy,
Send me a picture of the reel seat. I have a knurled aluminum nut off an old HI rod lying around. If it looks like it'll fit, I'll send it to you.

Jim

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (65.54.155.---)
Date: May 11, 2005 07:53AM

Also to add to Richs remarks,check the seat to see if it is pinned.If it is then it must be removed.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 11:08AM

Buddy:

U-40 makes a product called Ferrule Lube. It is fantastic. I use it on all my rods. I use it on all the rods I sell. I recommend it to my customers.

It is not a wax, but helps create a tight ferrule that can be taken apart. I would not recommend any type of wax product, as the wax accumulates dirt which wears away the surfaces and ultimately causes the ferrule to become loose and worn.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: dirk gaertner (---.excon.de)
Date: May 12, 2005 08:41AM

Hi buddy,
a light stroke with an ordenary candle over the ferrules will help. just this little bit of wax will "lubricate"perfect. for glass and carbon ferrules a few strokes with a pencil leave also engough graphite to avoid sticking.

greetz from damned cold germany

dirk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster