I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank colors
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: May 10, 2005 08:59AM

Inspired by the photos of the camo rod blanks I've been wondering if blank color has any importance.
Lets talk fly rods.
Should a saltwater fly rod (flats fishing) have a matte light blue/greyish color and should the stream rod have a camo pattern of some kind depending on the background ?
When flyfishing we often come closer to the fish than when spinning or casting and blank reflections and movement should be easier for the fish to detect -but does it matter ?

Please post your views on this - I know fish are being caught using the rods we use today - but that doesnt mean it cant get even better - cameleon paint maybe :-)

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank colors
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 10:21AM

Quite a few years ago a company named Aqua Designs, I think, came out with camo fishing shirts. They had at least 4 different base colors and the theory was that which shirt you wore depended on where you were fishing. A friend of mine owned a fly shop and we each bought one, only trouble was after you put on your vest, the only camo part exposed were the sleeves. In addition, I have fished in places in where the background color could and did change during the course of one day, pine forest background, then a tan or grey rocky canyon and then a meadow with nothing but blue sky behind you. Of course, company then came out with matching vests, so we figured we needed three shirts and three vest that we had to carry with us all the time!

I realize that rods a different, but I think the problems of the camo shirts are not that far off. There are lots of places here in Montana were the predominant background color changes within just a few hundred yards. Carrying three fly rods with me when I go fishing is not something I'm interested in doing. I'll do that if I'm fishing from a boat, but then it's because one might be a 5 or 6 weight rigged for nymphs and another might be a 3 or 4 weight rigged for drys. But when I go wade fishing, I might cover 2-3 miles of stream and I'm not interested in trying to keep track of an extra rod or two, nor am I very interested in carrying a backpack. And considering the diameter of fly rods, I really don't believe it would make any difference. Staying low and keeping to the shade when it's available will make more difference.

But, it's only my opinion.

Posted by: Dave Crowther (---.corp.weider.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 01:07PM

My personal observation is that motion is far more critical. I wear drab colors but regardless of what your wearing or the rod color, if a trout detects motion from your arm, your rod or the line, the jigs up.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: May 11, 2005 02:10AM

Thank you for your comments guys -
from the number of comments I see this may not be an issue, but I'm still going to go ahead with the "sky-color" idea. CTS are looking into the possibility of making such a color - I hope they will. Maybe I'll get a small advantage :-)

Peter

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 10:08AM

Consider what happens when someone stands in front of a brightly lit window and you look at them, it's really hard to see any detail, they just look dark. The same thing happens with a fly rod. The fish is in the water, the sun is basically overhead and the rod is in between. From the fish's perspective, the rod will be a dark color because the light is behind it. In addition, a pure white rod will cast just as large a shadow as a black one.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 03:04PM

I agree with Gerry mostly...I think fish mostly see the silouette so color to "camouflage" the rod IMO is not worth the trouble.

I do try to choose less flashy guides especially when fishing clear water areas. Also if you can keep a lower profile especially in flat water when approaching fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster