I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Blanks
Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.110.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 05:58PM

I have been reading many posts about individual's blank likes and dislikes on this board. It seems to me there are many builders that really like the St. Croix Blanks along with the Rainshawdow and Forecast Rod blanks. They suggest that the blanks offer a fairly decent quality with a very affordable price. I would really like to hear opinions on this topic as I believe that St. Croix and Batson Enterprises produce excellent blanks. I have built on both and am planning on building more and am trying to get opinions on blanks that offer good quality for a good price. I think St. Croix does this, but I am new at building rods so am interested in other opinions.

Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 06:14PM

Well, Steve--I know you've seen this ad nausium at this site, but you've gotta add Dan Craft to that list as well. OUTSTANDING performance at prices lower than St. Croix. That being said, I also am a big fan of both the other brands you mentioned--in fact, we're stocking distributors of Rainshadow blanks simply because we like them so much ourselves! Here's some "thoughts":

Dan Craft's Sig V is one of the lightest, "crispest" blanks out there at any price. It has a staggering speed of recovery, and is a joy both to cast and fish with. His FT Series is gaining a cult-like following for it's insane reserve power and wonderful tip-action, and his Sig III are one of the best values anywhere on a wonderful, lightweight blank with a beautiful blend between crisp recovery and traditional "presentation" feel. We've got a bit of an intro/write-up on each of his series on our site (http://www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com) under "Our Products"..."Blanks"..."Dan Craft". You can click the links on the left to view all the available models along with pricing.

The new Rainshadow RX7+ and RX8+ are STELLAR, world-class blanks unlike anything I've come across. Fantastic "feel" with incredible casting abilities. The RX8+ is simply the nicest performance blank I've built on. Unfortunately, Batson has yet to receive their shipment of these blanks so they're backordered until mid-June. Their RX7 is available now and is a wonderful all-round fly blank, particularly for trout and bass, IMO. Nice moderate-fast action, beautiful fit and finish, and great price. The Forecast "RX6" blanks are also awesome sticks for the price, though not in the same caliber as the others listed here IMO. The 2pc blanks are especially sweet feeling and cast/fish very nicely. You won't find the complete lineup of available models on our site as we don't keep the full lineup in stock, but if you click the Rainshadow/Forecast link on the left then "Rod Blanks"..."Fly" you'll see all the available models along with the retail pricing.

And of course you can't go wrong with a St. Croix IV or V. Awesome sticks at very decent pricing--especially for their performance! We're not stocking distributors, but would be happy to special order them for you. A number of the other sponsors here would likely have the complete lineup in stock if time is an issue.

Anyway, I'm sure you're about to get inundated with helpful suggestions, so I'll sign off here and wish you the best in your quest for the right blanks for your needs...as I've said above, you're in good shape with either of the brands you suggested and can't help but strongly encourage you to add the Dan Craft blanks to that "best value" list as well.

All the best,

Posted by: michael t williams (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 07:48PM

Steve, I am relativley new to rod building (4 years). However, I have built six fly rods using Dan Craft's blanks: 3 weight thru 9 weight. Absolutley impressive in every way. Michael T Williams, Eugene, OR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 10:45PM

Don't know about fly rods, But I love the St. Croix spinning & casting blanks from the SCII to the SCIV (haven't tried the SCV) Good value

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2005 10:45PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 10, 2005 08:51AM

When I began building rods, my goal was to sample a little bit of everything. I wanted to try and build at least one rod of every reputable brand I could find. I started with St. Croix and Lamiglass, and I haven't moved on yet, and it's been about 5 years. Yes, I've picked up some blanks on sale here and there of other brands. They were fine--no complaints--but not nearly as nice as the St. Croixs and Lamis for the price. By far, the nicest blank I've used to date is the SCV--absolutely fantastic in every possible way. For my own personal spinning/casting rods, I use the SCIII series. They're almost as nice as the SCVs, but a bit more affordable, and there are more blanks to choose from. For my own fly rods, I use the SCIVs and Lamiglass Perigrees--I couldn't be happier.

I still want to try a few other brands (Dan Craft comes to mind), but it's hard to convince myself to try anything else.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 06:37PM

Yes Andrew i agree, before i quit building rods a Dan Craft is a rod i just have to build. LOL who ever quits, i still have two sitting here i haven,t got to. BEST, John

Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.swbell.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 08:29PM

I've built a few rods on the SC IV (before IPC), the 7 1/2 ft 3 wt 2 pc. is a great rod. I've made one for myself and a friend of mine and he really likes it. I've also made one using the 9' 6 wt(SC IV prior to IPC) and I just completed a 9' 5 wt on the Dan Craft Signature V. I'd have to say between the 5 and 6 wt that the 5wt Signature V would be my favorite. If you're looking for a blank in the 5-6 wt range I'd definitely recommend the Signature V.

Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.116.---)
Date: May 11, 2005 06:01AM

Thanks to all for their opinions and it seems that all have very similiar trust in ST. Croix. Blanks aswell as Rainshawdow. I never checked out the offering at Dan's Craft but it seems many realy like them aswell. I know originally I was talking about good value with good quality, but I could'nt help notice nobody mentioned Loomis or Sage. Is this because they are too expensive or do people think they don't offer the same quality to value ratio?

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 11, 2005 08:39AM

Regarding Loomis and/or Sage, it's mainly the expense for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster