I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Guide Repair..perfect reason for Forhan Lock
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: May 07, 2005 04:09PM

I have an expensive Japanese Daiwa rod that has single foot guides. It was accidentally kicked while fighting a fish that decided to go around the boat all of a sudden and ended up with one guide pulled out of the wrap. The wrap and guide were relatively undamaged. This was the first time I've ever personally seen a guide pull out of a wrap. I was able to push it back in and finish the trip. The only part that seems to have been effected is the finish at the very end of the guide broke free.

Can this be as simple as another coat of epoxy, or a touch of superglue and another coat of epoxy, or will this require a complete re-wrap? Normally I would just re-wrap it, but I don't think I can match the color of thread that they used.

Thanks,
Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2005 04:23PM by Phil Richmond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Guide Repair..perfect reason for Forhan Lock
Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 08:08PM

The correct way to fix it would obviously be to remove the epoxy and thread and re-wrap it, however you could probably get by with epoxying it in place and after scuffing the finish putting a light coat over it. That would get you through the season or until you had the time to do it right. In the meantime why not try and contact the mfg to find out what thread was used to wrap the guides so that you can try and match it.

Been there! Done that! It always seems that your feet decide to go to the only place on the deck there is a rod!

Russ

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 08:11PM

Thanks for the reply Russ. The rod was purchased in Japan, and not offered in America, so its a bit harder to try to contact Daiwa Japan to ask them what color was used. Its a purplish red color that I've not seen before, and not sure if I can match. I'd take a photo and post it, but sometimes colors change.

Phil

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.87.235.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 10:45PM

Phil,
This is where Madeira or Robison/Anton might come in handy. If you can find a sewing shop in your area that carries one or both, take the rod with you and compare the various shades that they offer.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 08, 2005 12:14AM

Be sure to remove some of the thread on the wrap and lay that up against the spools of thread. The color under the finish will be different than it looks without the finish on it, Phil. Then, did they use CP or not? That makes a difference, too...

Another thing to think about: What would have actually happened if this rod had a locking wrap on the guide? Would the damage have been avoided? Would the blank have been damaged because the guide was immobile?

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2005 01:49PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 09:45AM

If you can put about 8 turns of thread after the upright post, push against the guide, this also helps to keep guides in place. maybe use the same color of the blank with no CP and it will tend to disapear. Even do them all just for the season, then rewrap

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster