I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Please help a novice...
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 04:19PM

First, let me say that, as a newbie to this site, this is a wonderful resource for those of us just starting out in rodbuilding. So many of my questions have already been answered just by browsing the FAQ's and various posts. None the less, I have a problem. I am building a new spinning rod (my second project) using a St Croix 6'3" Avid extra fast blank (with a Tennessee handle). I am attempting to use the Fuji Concept guide system, and am employing the principals outlined in the on-line article I found here. However, I am having problems with my guide placement. I am using a 30 mm gathering ring (Fuji Alconite), but placed as described (a line defined by the reel's spindle axis to the smallest guide touching the guide rings tangently), it [the guide] is only 14" removed from the handle. It was my impression that it should fall somewhere between 17" and 23". If I adjust the guide placement such that the above mentioned line passes through the center of the guide rings, it would move the gathering ring to a more conventional location. (In measuring the placement on the factory assembled rod, the first guide is roughly 18" from the handle, and the reel seat placement is further removed than is mine.) I don't want to get too anal-retentive in following directions, but is there some counter-intuitive force at work here? Can anyone please provide me with some insights?
Thank you,
Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help a novice...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2005 04:26PM

A 30mm ring is way too large for such a rod. Drop back to a 25 (even a 20 might work better). I think that will make things work out much better for you.

Just out of curiousity, what size line do you plan to use?

Date: May 06, 2005 04:40PM

Generally, I will be using 20 lb Power Pro with an 8 or 10 lb mono leader. On my first rod I used a 25 mm gathering ring and found it inhibited my casts when I was using a Daiwa 2500 SSII. It works better with 2000 series reels. Unfortunately, it seems that many of the reel manufacturers are moving to 2500 reels and dropping the 2000's. I didn't want to build a rod that I might have difficulty matching to future reels. Additionally, St Croix uses a 30 mm when they build the rod, and I know that is no excuse, but....
And, should I decide to use a 25 mm ring, can you recommend a supplier that would charge a shipping and handling fee on a single ring which wouldn't triple the cost of the transaction?
Thanks,
Hunter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2005 04:52PM by Hunter Armstrong.

Date: May 06, 2005 04:44PM

What you'd probably want to do if you order a #25, is get a few more items that you feel you may need in the future in order to break that shipping charge down a bit.

A 2500 is a pretty large reel for that blank, and that's pretty heavy line. But if you can make it work, I'd sure try a #25. You might want to test cast with one of each and see if there is really that much different in casting distance.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:12PM

Hunter: I use a custom built Avid 6'3" MXF spinning rod for bass fishing and agree with Tom K that a 25 mm guide is the largest you need. I use it with a 2000 size Stradic, which matches fine, I would not go smaller (promotes line twist, in my opinion), and agree with you about the 2500s, though they are really only marginally larger than the 2000s. If the 20# Power Pro has a similar diameter as the 8-10# mono leader, I don't think that's an issue.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.9.154.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:26PM

Seconding, or is it thirding, what the two Toms have mentioned. On all the 6 to 6'6 St. Croix spinners I do, a 25 works wonderfully. 30's are just too much and unless using smaller lines, a 20 is just a hair on the small side for me. I'd offer to mail you a 25 but all I have laying around are PacBay GSVHG's (gold frame).

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 06:18PM

Agree with the others! I use 25's on 7 footers. I just feel that 30's are too big and really not needed (my opinion)

Mike

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 07:15PM

Hunter: I have a spare BYAG 25 (Fuji Alconite, black) that I'd be happy to send you. Guys here have done the same for me. But your email is hidden, fix that by going to "My Control Center"/"Edit Email Settings", and check the box that "confirms" your email address. Or, email me.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:16PM

Just an observation. It's awsome that Hunter has had a couple of offers to mail him a guide to save him on shipping costs. Another example of what caliber people we deal with here on .ORG......the folks on this board are what makes it the #1 place on the internet in my opinion.

Jay

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:23PM

Hunter

I am in the middle of building a 6' 3" Shikari walleye sreies spinning blank that I just set up a set of Fuji Alconites (concept style) on to test. After a few test casts my best setup works out to 20 - 12 - 8L - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 tip. My butt guide is 21 1/2" from the middle of the reelseat. My reel is a Shimano Sahara 2500. I'll be using 8 lb line. This setup casts a mile with little effort, and with no line slap or noise. I'm sure there are a few slight differences in your reel seat / handle and reel. but this may help you with some starting info.

Rog

Wow!!!
Date: May 09, 2005 12:21PM

Thanks for all the offers. These are remarkable responses to a first time poster. Even though my main question remains unanswered (re: lining the spindle of my reel with the centers of the guide rings as opposed to the edges?), I am very impressed with this cyber community. Using the board sponsers, I managed to find a source for the BYAG 25 ring, ordered it with a few other items, and felt that the pricing was quite fair. (My regular on-line tackle site did not carry the BYAG in 25 mm; just 30 and 20). At any rate, I want to thank all those that contributed to this thread. The universal opinion that I ought to go with the 25 mm guides certainly made my decision a no-brainer. What a remarkable resource this site is. Again, thanks for all the help!
Tight lines!
Hunter

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 08:49PM

Hunter,

There are several different "measurements" for the same rod length, depending on who you ask/read.

I just built a 6'6" and roughly from the reel seat is about 20-21" to guide #1 I'd say your 18" is about right. I used a concept guide system of my own making and it realy worked out well. Stick the guides to the blank, add the reel and line and see hoiw it performs and move them the way YOU think looks, performs and feels best, I use the center of the guide ring for placement.

I also measure and start at the TIP and work down in doing measurements if that helps.

DR

Date: May 11, 2005 10:33PM

When the line leaves the reel, gravity pulls it downward. So lining up the rings so that the line path between spool and intersect point is in the ring centers doesn't buy you anything. The line will still run on the bottom (downward side) of the rings. If you will just size and space the rings so their outer edge hits the edge of the table, you'll find that it casts just as far if not farther than if you use larger rings and set up on the ring center. Try it for yourself and see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster