I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sticky ferrules on bamboo
Posted by: andy hayward (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:26PM

Sorry I guess I should have said that the sticky ferrules are on a bamboo rod. sorry. how do i make them go together and come apart a little better?
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sticky ferrules on bamboo
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:40PM

you might try using a metal polish to very carefully polish the male ferrul till it fits and pops on separation.
before you do that, take a piece of 0000 steel wool and roll it into a piece that will fit into the female ferrul and twist it around in there to make sure there is no gunk or corrosion in there. after doing this and blowing it out well see how the fit is. it may solve the problem. at one time that ferrul fit(unless its a new ferrul) so, it got tight later which usually is due to dirt building up in the female side.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.state.nm.us)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:51PM

Andy,

Here's what I have done for years with my two bamboo rods. The stickiness is generally from two sources: old lubricant or corrosion. Remove the first with an evaporative solvent, e.g., denatured alcohol, making sure that you don't get any on the rod itself. (Do not use anything that doesn't evaporate completely, e.g., WD-40) Remove the second using a gentle metal polish. It's important to polish both the male and female portions (I use a Q-tip on the latter). It make take several tries to remove the old corrsion, but it really makes a difference. Once the sections slide together and come apart smoothly, all you have to do is keep the ferrule clean. Never use any lubricant, including the oil from the side of your nose. Metal ferrules don't require any lubricant, they work by friction.

Jim

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:51PM

Andy,

I would suggest the U40 Ferrule Lube to you before you polish it with a steel wool.

It may be just what you need.

Good wrapping/fishing.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.state.nm.us)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:57PM

I would not use steel wool on the ferrules! Even 0000 grade is too abrasive and will scratch the metal, creating a surface to catch dirt and trap corrosion. Stay with the polish! I don't know about the U-40 product specifically, but I have never found the need for any lubricant for 35 years on my bamboo rods' ferrules. IMHO, all they do is collect dirt; the ferrule should be 100% dry for the best results.

Jim

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 04:36PM

Clean the ferrules good with solvents or polish as described above and stay away from oils, including skin oils from the side of your nose. I know...my Dad told me to use the nose oil as a lubricant too when I was a kid (this was the only oil we could afford back then), but it attracts dirt and causes the sticky problem.

If you must try some sort of lubricant, rub the male end of the ferrule with dry hand soap. Save the small pieces that you were going to throw away from the shower. Let them dry good and rub lightly on the ferrule end. This will improve things. You may need to assemble and disassemble the rod a few times to make sure both ferrule parts are covered well with the soap film. You will be surprised at how well the ferrules work with the addition of a little dry soap film.

I carry a small piece of soap in my fishing vest now for touch-ups if needed.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 06:35PM

I notice on my hex that the ferrules seat a lot deeper with the twist technique. But I don't really know if real bamboo is up to this.

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 06:52PM

I use 0000 steel wool and then clean with denatured alcohol. OOOO steel wool will not remove anything but dirt and grease. Do not apply any lube to ferrules. I bet if you clean with denatured alcohol both male and female they will slide together.

Thanks Dave

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.1.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 04:55AM

Another ferrule problem with bamboo rods , often the male ferrule has a hairline crack in it.. check and see if that is the case with your rod. Often times the crack is so slight you miss it when you look at the ferrules.. Some of the older makers of bamboo rods are known for having ferrules split.

Tight lines,
Art

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster