I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass fishing - spinnerbait blank suggestions
Posted by: Scott Fossum (65.214.202.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 01:32PM

I'm a saltwater fisherman and only know fly and popping rod blanks.
I'm wanting to build a bass fishing rod as a gift. I have no idea on what blank to get. What is "wanted" by the recipient is a 6'-6" rod for spinnerbaits. Any suggestions on blanks? Mid to high end $ blanks are ok.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass fishing - spinnerbait blank suggestions
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.182.111.98.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 01:53PM

St. Croix EC66MHF

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 02:06PM

Scott,

Just to let you know what Sean gave you there was the completed rod part number. The blank would be 5C66MHF. That would be a very nice rod, or the 4C66MHF. Depends on the money thats to be spent for it.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:23PM

Well I just used a buddys St. Croix 2S66MHM. Althought it is geared towards crankbaits it is a killer SB rod. The moderate action makes it a bit more forgiving on the fish, and personally I dont see the need for something like 5's or 4's for spinnerbaits, considering that it is a reaction bite.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.182.111.98.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 03:32PM

Thanks for clarifying it. I just checked out their spinnerbait rods--figured it would be the best way to go.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 04:18PM

Seeker @#$%&-706S with 6" cut off the butt would be a nice Spinerbait stick.(S-Glas)
or if you would rather a graphite blank then the Shikari MB663 or 664 are hard to beat.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:01PM

You need to ask the recipient more questions. Like will it be used in heavy cover? What type of line (mono ,braid, flouro.)? For shallow water or deep crankin' blades? I have numerous rods for blades, and all serve a different purpose. A seven foot rod with a soft tip and alot of backbone would be good for your great lakes smallmouth. On Okeechobee though you'll need a pretty stiff 6'6" rod for more precise casting and yanking fish out of weeds. All of the suggestion above are good, but there is a reason why he is requesting a custom rod, so he can get exactly waht he wants.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: May 07, 2005 09:09AM

I like the Avid line of the St. Croix moderate action rods for spinnerbaiting. I would like to try out the Legend Tournaments however. The MHM for moderate cover and the HM for the junk, or big spinnerbaits. I personally like the 7' lengths for my Spin/buzzbaiting.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:17AM

I will echo what Russ suggested. I have 3 Seeker @#$%&-706S rods. I had 1 built for me last year then I decided to take up this addiction and I built 2 more. All I do is bass fish and I throw a spinnerbait more than any lure. I think it is the best blank for moving lures. Go to the Bass Fishing Home Page and do a search for spinnerbait rods or just type in Seeker, you will see plenty of posts regarding the @#$%&-706S.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster