I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stowing four piece rods
Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: May 05, 2005 09:46PM

I prefer using a length of black pvc pipe with cap at one end and threaded cap at the other for stowing and transporting my fishing rods. I have several of these tubes with soft lengthwise linings and sponge in the cap ends. These are of a size to accomadate 8'6" two piece rods - 56" tubes.

anyway I've lately acquired a four piece 8'6" fly rod and prefer to keep two pieces permanently attached, thus leaving two halves to fit in the pvc tube - essentially I've turned a four piece rod into a two piece rod.

I wonder if this is a common practice.? could it be detrimental to the rod? I've observed fly fishermen who keep their rods permanently attached - some even using surgical rubber tubing to join the ferrules - thus allowing them to keep the rod stowed 'full length' on the overhead vehicle rack and laid on wall or ceiling pegs at home.

thanks for any feed back.

marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stowing four piece rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:12AM

It won't hurt the rod, but keeping a rod assembled for long periods and various temperature changes can make the ferrules "stick" so you may find that when, or if, you go to take the rod all the way down, you can't get those sections apart. At least not very easily.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: May 06, 2005 11:44AM

I bought a fiberglass blank several weeks ago that had been left assembled for a very long time. I thought for a while it was going to stay assembled, whether I liked it or not ! I wouldn't leave any blank partially assembled as you describe. At a minimum, I would unseat the sections that will be left together. Your efficiency in setting up the rod is compromised, but you will never have a broken blank. I sympathize though, I get antsy with assembly after the second fitting, making my 6 piece rod pure torture.

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:21PM

Thanks, Tom and Don

it is a hassle but i think unseating all portions when stored unused is probably a good idea.

I noticed when taking my 4 pc 3wt out recently that the blank was cold, dew covered during first light, then later it warmed up. The pieces had tightened up considerably.

I've applied the U-40 ferrule treatment to all my blank ferrules in the hopes that it will keep ferrule fits clean and tight.

marc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster