I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weave design legal question
Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2005 11:16AM

Hello, I have a potential client who would like a Red Sox theme fly rod. I most certainly can do up a weave design and use good old red & white wraps, etc. My question is on the legal use of the Red Sox logo in the weave design. I suppose this question would also apply to college logos and teams, etc. What do folks do when they have a request for such a rod/weave?

cheers,
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weave design legal question
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: May 05, 2005 11:21AM

As far as I know you cannot use trademarked logos without permission.Therefor a builder who offers it for sale is open to legal action.If you were to do yourself for personal use I`m not sure of the implications.Think of it if you kid draws a Red Sox logo on his school book covers its ok but if someone trys to sell these they need permission from the franchise.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2005 01:24PM

Yes, that is what I figured. Of course, trying to contact the Red Sox legal to get permission or even PAY a reasonable fee for rights is next to impossible. I've spent at least an hour on the phone. So much for trying to do the right thing. How about this: use an official redsox decal on the rod. Do decals have useage license agreements? If not, then maybe this would work.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 01:28PM

As far as I know logos are trademarked. On the other hand how about logo stickers on cars? Does that mean the owner of the logo indorses that vehicle. You may want to contact the Red Sox's. Who knows they may contract you for your weave work
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 03:46PM

Michael I think I addressed that with my comment on decals on cars. I think where the problem arises is are you going to profit from putting a logo on a rod even if it is done at cost.. I think what you need to find out is. by putting a logo on a fishing rod constitutes them as a endorsee of your product or workmanship. You might try and contacting a company who makes Shirts or any kind of memorabilia for the Red Sox's. So we don't fill up this site email me at warren334@myway.com
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Erik Kunz (65.209.251.---)
Date: May 05, 2005 04:25PM

If you guys search the archives on this topic, there have been several very good discussions in the past.

Erik

Posted by: Roger Williams (---.90.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 05:43PM

I had a similar dilemma on a weave from a guy who wanted the Loomis skeleton fish on his rod. I contacted Loomis and they told me that it would be OK as long as I wasn't selling the item solely based on that logo and I wasn't profiting from it. In essence what he said was that it would be all right on
a rod as a weave and that it was part of the package, i.e. butt wrap, guides and handle. Besides he said it was good advertising for them. Your situation is a little different than mine but yet I don't see a problem. We all want to do what is right and legal. If it were me I go ahead and do it . Who will ever know as the Red Sox legal team comes knocking on your door. Good luck!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2005 06:01PM

Just put it on the rod.

One weave logo, on one fishing rod? Hopefully it won't send MLB or the Red Sox into a tailspin.....Ran into Carl Yastremski at a tackle shop...would've loved to build HIM a custom rod ( he's a light tackle St Croix factory type of guy)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 08:02PM

Just dont try to sell it on @#$%&!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 01:51AM

rod sox

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster