I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What do I charge my wife???
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 07:43PM

Just got back from a fishing derby where my son won a prize for...first trout caught ( we cheated and jumped the gun!) He caught a couple 2lb ish rainbows and was quite pleased with his new Thomas the Tank Engine, spiral wrapped rod.................Now,.....my wife (alot like me in the "no rules " department,) fishes herself,... in a kids derby!!!, and is enjoying the "family outing '..........On the way home she decides after a 15 years of being with me, that she wants a custom rod for herself....blew my mind!!!! .............When we get home she's pealing through my thread, picking out colors!!!(purples, and reds)

Part of me wants to build this for free....but my left side says..." ...you'll owe me big time!!!"

Looking forward to building THIS particular rod.

Hope you had a good weekend....I did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do I charge my wife???
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 08:09PM

Before we can effectively assist you in this life decision, we need to know whether or not you prefer to stay married and to this current partner who obviously is a patient, tolerant individual to have put up with you for 15 years. It is possible, without having additional info in this matter, that the determination would be made that you not only owe her the custom rod, but addtional consideration as well. Take your time in this matter please......and keep us posted.......

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 08:13PM

GREAT to hear he had the first fish & won a prize!!! I've fished a couple of kids tournaments myself, lol.

As for wifey wanting a rod, that's great too. THat's just another excuse to wrap yourself a rod - just make sure it "Fits" you, and say it's for her, lol. Might as well fill a niche you're missing in your arsenal.

If you need a 2-piece spinning rod, I've got a St. Croix SC2 4-10# blank I can send you with teh other order, if that ever gets here.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 09:18PM

Also need to know whether she just has the cast iron skillet or if you've been so nice as to buy her a gun for a previous gift?

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2005 11:38PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.3.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 09:44PM

It has been my personal experience in these matters to - - - - JUST DO IT,,,and move on !!!!!! Build it and let it go ..
The one I built my wife (after 30 yrs) is sitting up on the shelf in her closet !!!!!!!!! Along with the new matching reel, in the box......

Tight lines
Art
mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 09:44PM

Better yet, you can build two and tell her that it would look better as a matching set. Cheaters always win!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.150.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 10:18PM

Sounds like a great day out! Congrats to the little one.

When my wife first wondered aloud why exactly I had never built her a rod, I had the same thought. I immediately thought that I could probably charge her laundry work, dinners cooked, dishes washed, etc. But being married long enough to realize that I married into an eternity of servitude... I mean.... perpetual love and devotion... I let her know that it would be my greatest honor and that I would forever be in her debt for believing that I, her humble husband, could possibly be capable of building a rod that could satisfy her insatiable demands.... I mean.... that could radiate a beauty to match her own breathtaking vision.

I could go on but I have to go put some clothes into the dryer...

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 11:40PM

And I need my hipwaders!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 07:27AM

Charge her nothing.

Do whatever is necessary to make her happy and you will be happy.

For a while.

Reminds me of my wife's desire to accompany me duck hunting years ago.

I was determined to make her happy.

Took only two trips in sub-freezing weather and she was happy.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 04:57PM

Thanks for all your words of wisdom : ) .......and saving my marraige from utter collapse!!! After tripping over a pile of laundry and smashing my head on the dining room table, knocking off two of the five rods stored there along with a set of guides .... why would I charge her??? I don't charge myself!!! ( She'll definately need a REALLY nice rod for the beach...I think she said "two".)

I'll need more thread....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 06:07PM

Michael:

My wife tells everyone that she is a kept woman because I build all of her rods for her and tie all of her flies, too. That gets me off the hook, when I wish to start another rod.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 08:53PM

Heck if she charged you for all her work, you would be paying her for being a cleaning woman, maid, dishwasher, shopper, lover, - heck the two rods is way cheaper, make her 4 or 5 LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster