I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning cork handles 101
Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 02:47PM

OK, these are basic questions, and I think I already know the answers but I need to ask just to be sure there isn't anything I'm missing.

Question 1:

When I turn my cork handles, it seems inevitable that they will be some what out of round with the blank itself (i.e. the cork is higher on one side than it is on the other).
What tips do you guys have keep your cork handles perfectly round with the blank when shaping them?

Question 2:

I have seen diagrams in RodMaker magazine where a cork handle is show with various outside diameters and tapers. I have a pair of calipers for measuring, but what steps do you take to shape the handle? I took a wood shop class in high school where we used wood on a lathe. Basically, we would measure the piece of stock and mark the changes in O.D., then we would use a small cutting tool to bring that section down to its desired O.D. Then we would use large cutting tools to shape the wood between those points until the proper transition was achieved.
Do you take the same steps with cork? Obviuously you don't use cutting tools with cork, but do you first bring a section of the cork down to its desired O.D, then remove the space between until the transition you want is made?

Just looking for some all around good tips when it comes to shaping cork.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2005 02:48PM by Tom Markham.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning cork handles 101
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 03:36PM

You can use your cutting tool and very lightly round the cork handle before you start sanding. Sometimes when you bore out the hole, if you are not careful, you can sand the hole out of center then when you slip the handle on the blank it will make the grip look higher on one side.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2005 04:40PM

How to do all this, was covered in-depth in two articles in RodMaker a while back. Those issues are stil available. I also covered it in the book I did for Amato publications - Rod Building Guide.

You have to get your grip concentric by cutting with a wood scraper to start. Once you get it concentric with the blank, you can begin shaping by sanding.

Overall, you have to work cork differently that you do wood. Most of the shaping is done by sanding rather then cutting with a wood cutting tool. It takes some practice to be able to get the various shapes you desire, but it's not terribly difficult to learn. You have just have to gain some experience by a doing several.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2005 07:13PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 06:58PM

Yep it's in Tom's book. Very informative.

Jay

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.an7.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 09:54PM

Tom, take a piece of sandpaper and wrap it around the front end of a piece of 3/4 inch wood about 2 inches wide and use that on a tool rest as you would a lathe chisel, until you get the piece round, then start shaping from there. You need a steady rest so the cork does not get out of round. Best regards, Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster