I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

travel fly rods
Posted by: Jon Erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 09:05PM

hi im planing a trip out west and never taken a rod on board a plane before is there a lenght limit i have a 9 ft. 4 pcs. but thinking of building a 9 ft. 3 pcs. and a 8 ft. 3 pcs. would they be to long to carry on board any info would be most appreciated thanks Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: travel fly rods
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: April 30, 2005 09:25PM

Best thing to do is check with the airline. The regulations vary from carrier to carrier and seem to change daily. You might have to check even the shortest rod.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 10:35PM

Jon--Bob's advice is good, so please take this as a general observation. Most of our customers on the G&L FlyCraft end have not had issues with 3- or 4-pc rods, but I have heard of some having to check either/both. I've also heard of fly fishers having to check aluminum tubes but not cordura tubes!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 04:26AM

Hi Jon,

In October I drove out to Seattle and flew back into Denver. I packed my 9' 4 piece with it's cordura bag right in my duffle bag. The 2" PVC tube with my 2 piece rods had to be checked as a seperate item. When I got back the tube didn't show up at baggage check so I filled out a form and two days later a van with the airline logo pulled up and dropped off my rods. They all survived the trip just fine.

Then in January my brother and I flew out to Seattle. Same deal: 2 piece rods in the PVC tube, 4 piece in the duffle bag. At Sea-Tac our rods showed up at the baggage claim sooner than our luggage. Coming back home to DIA the second time we actually got PVC tube that night, just about an hour after our other bags had come. Oh well, we landed at 2a.m. so we had to wake up and wait for a ride anyway. But in all 3 flights the rods came out just fine in checked baggage.

If you are really concerned I would call the airline and if the person you talk to can't give you a clear answer ask for the supervisor. I think most airlines allow you to have 1 "cary on" and one "personal item." I believe the only size requirement for the airlines I flew on was that both your items either fit under the seat in front of you or completely in the overhead.

Good Luck,

Mark

Posted by: jon erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 01:26PM

thanks guys i will check with the airlines and maybe get a bigger duffle bag

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.33.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 10:47AM

If you have an address you can have the rods sent befor you go and have them delivered to the address. I did that when I went to Florida.They were there wating for me. Used a hard adjustable case.

Posted by: Scott Patterson (---.nga.mil)
Date: May 02, 2005 11:13AM

Jon,

Pre-9/11 I used to carry on 9' 2pc with no problems. Summer 2002 I had to check it (Dulles airport) - fine by me until I get to Minneapolis and everybody (and their siblings) is walking through the terminal with 2 piece tubes. 2004 I check the 2 pc, but carry-on 9' 5pc and 7' 2pc - 2 pc gets lost in transit, even with 2 1/2 hr layover??? By the time it arrives 4 days later, I'm already on the road to Yellowstone (Airline: "Would you like to have it delivered to you?", me: "If you're willing to bring it to the Pebble Creek campground from Bozeman, I'm all for it", Airline: "Er..."). Bottom line - 9' 3 pc is no bigger than the 7' 2pc I carried on, but, based on recent experience with TSA, who knows? Best of luck.

Regards,
Scott Patterson

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 12:03PM

I think Bill has the best idea. If you don't have someone to send it to check with the USPS and see if you could send it to yourself @ the nearest post office to where you are going general delivery. If they do allow it send it priority mail and be sure to insure it. The airlines are getting to be a pain to deal with.

Just a thought??

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.33.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 12:11PM

At that time I had used Fed x. Check with all of them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster