I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How u mount singl ft guides?
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 10:54AM

Working on first rod. 9' 4wt. I got enough help from friends to know how to build this one. But, how would you mount "single foot" guides and hold in place in order to wrap the thread, then be able to fine tune it's alignment? If you spot glue it on to begin with you would sure have to get it right the first time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How u mount singl ft guides?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.151.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:04AM

Recently I've been playing with slices of surgical tubing and really like them, but towards the tip, the ID isn't small enough so I still use thin strips of blue masking tape on those. What I usually do is cut a strip no wider then half the length of the guide foot, stick the middle on the guide foot close to the leg, then set it in place and pull the tape down over the blank. when your wraps reach the tape, pull it off and finish the wrap.

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.insight.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:09AM

Jim,

I used a little bit of flex coat guide foot adhesive. It's like a glue stick-- just heat the guide foot, place the foot on the stick, then apply it to the blank. The bond is very easy to break once the wrap is finished and you need to "fine tune" the alignment. Some don't like it, but I think it may provide a small "cushion" in case there are a couple very small burrs that you miss when grinding the guide feet. Just my .02

John

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:24AM

jim, go to the electrical section of your hardware store and buy a package of the smallest electrical zip ties. they are only about 1/8" wide. they hold the guides on very well but allow you to move them around. they won't scratch the blank. when i tighten them down i clip the tag off so it does not get in the way. i wrap the guide up to the tie and then clip the tie off by using a small pair of diagonal cutting pliers on the little square slot thingy that holds the tie together. you can buy them in packages of 100 for a buck or two. give them a try.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:47AM

Cut a thin strip of masking tape, less than half the length of the guide foot and about two inches long. Fold over both ends to make two small non-sticky handles. Stick the guide, near the ring, to the middle of this strip, then position the guide on the blank by holding onto and pulling down on the tape handles. (The main trick is to put the tape on the guide first, before you put the guide on the blank.) Press the tape to the sides of the blank, but do not wrap it around it. Start the wrap, as you reach the tape pull it off (rather, peel it off) by the handles. Finish the wrap (preferably with a Forhan lock), align, epoxy, no sweat.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:53AM

I buy bags of kids rubber bands. Cut them in half and ty them onto the blank with a double knot. I start from the tip and ty several inches above where it will be, then slide it down. Wet a little and they slide easy. I can also get them to fit the tiny tips of blanks.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.208.90.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:53AM

i'm using the flex coat guide adhesive but have used little rubber bands in the past. some use dental "rubber bands," i've used the little ones for girls designed for pony tails, found in a target where you'd find hair brushes and combs. just snip them free when you need to.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 12:28PM

Any trick to using teh guide foot adhesive? Too much and it oozes out, too little, it doesn't hold well.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 06:36PM

The trick to using the Flex Coat hot glue is to heat the guide foot and glue stick at the same time, rub the guide foot on the glue stick and then wipe the foot on the stick to remove extra glue. Take your index finger and thumb and wipe the sides of the guide foot to remove any extra glue there. Gently flame the guide foot and stick the guide on the blank. I learned this from Roger Seiders when he was teaching me how to build rods about 24 years ago. I have not used tape since.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 06:54PM

Learn to use the method Ellis is describing and you can save a lot of time and effort. When the guides are wrapped the flexcoat adhesive remains pliable enough to allow for some minor alignment tweeking.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 08:12PM

i use those small rubber bands used for Dental appliances (Braces). Just wrap them around a couple times and snip off

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 09:03PM

AH, now I see. After teh glue gets on teh guide, re-heat it. I was trying to heat it, then rush to get it on the blank. Makes much more sense now. Who'd've thought it could be that much common sense?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.73.219.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 11:12PM

I've tried the guide foot stick and never could get the hang of it. I can easily tape 3 to 4 guides, including cutting the strips, in the time it takes me to get one glued on the right way. I think it's like so much of everything else that we do. When you learn a certain way to mount guides, wrap them, use a finish, what type of finish you use, how you finish cork/wood, or find a way that works for you, and you do it for a while, it can be hard to change.

The point Jim, is that there are many areas where there is no "correct" or "better" way to do stuff. It's all about what you like working with. Try all the different methods and see what you like. That's part of the fun of this, seeing what other people do and experimenting and coming up with new things yourself.

Posted by: Ron Flynn (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 12:36AM

i use latex bands i got at [www.myshelties.com] i use 3/16 & 1/4 size 1000 for 9 bucks

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 01:29AM

Thanks for all the replies. Man I learned a lot of ways to do it. I even have a bunch of those small tyraps. Like the tape ideas also. I got it made with all those methods. Thanks again.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 08:54AM

.....cut 1/4" tape into 1/8" strips, wrap and snip off the tape.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 10:38AM

I get "fuel line" tubing at a model/hobby shop (iit comes in various dianeters and is really inexpensive) I just use a razor blade and cutting board and cut up a years supply in a very short time. Just slip as many as you need down the blank before you put the tip top on (I put a few extra on just in case) They make it real easy to adjust/move guides and strong/tight enough for test casting/static distribution test. whe wrapping all you have to do is touch them with a razor blade and they fly off. The best/easiest method that have found so far. Get 2 different sizes so you can stay tight anywhere on any rod

Mike

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 08:30AM

Just finished my first rod. Used single foot guides, and the Flexcoat guide foot adhesive was great. I'll never do it any other way. Strong enough to stay in place while I ran a line through the guides to double check alignment and wrap, but a snap to remove and reposition if needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster