I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To Fix or Not?
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 11:06AM

I have an old 7' 10"-2pc hollow aluminum fly rod. Without having run CC tests I would guess it to be a 5 weight . The action is extremely slow. It is has a hazy gold color with an inexpensive maroon lightweight aluminum seat. The 6" cork grip is straight but for a tiny bulge in the middle. The cork seem comparable to the #2 standard. theere is some chipping at the rear but overall it is ok. A cleaning would do wonders for it. The stripping guide is bent and the next has been replaced with an oddball guide wrapped sloppily. The rest of the snake eyes and tip are ok but all the wraps show cracks. Even though I am quite sure this rod has little value I wonder if it is better to let it remain an example of a well worn tool of a bygone era. As much as I'd like to redo it I just wonder if I would be forfeiting a piece of fly gear history; albeit a very modest one.I have no emotional connection to the man whose rod this was. It makes a nice momento as is, but I know I could give it a totally new life. I have been sitting on the fence over this for some time. Your opinions would be helpful. Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To Fix or Not?
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: April 29, 2005 11:37AM

If it were mine, I would replace the oddball guides with something period, clean the cork, cast it once, then hang it on the wall.

Re: To Fix or Not?
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 12:53PM

That particular rod may not be the one to use but when I fiest opened my shop in May 1992 I took a beat up 6Ft. Boat Rod with a wooden butt and "Half Way" restored it. I restored the tip and first 6 inches, left the next 6" unrestored,restored the next 6" and alternated all the way to the butt. Believe me, it was a conversation piece and a perfect example of my work. About 6 years ago a woman fell in love with that "sample" and bugged me to sell it to her so I let her have it for 30.00. The point is a new rod is expected to look good but a restoration example makes a larger impression as they can see the difference you made. Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster