I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clemen's?
Posted by: Shawn Smith (---.as0.cmdn.mi.voyager.net)
Date: April 03, 2002 09:12PM

How can I get in touch with Clemens Tackle? I have ordered a catalog from them but never recieved it. I have tried to call them for 3 days now, but always get a busy signal. The number I was trying was 610-395-5119. I was not sure about paying for a catalog to begin with. Now I am even a little more gun shy. If there is just some kind of misunderstanding or information entered wrong on my part, then I apologize. I am just looking for someone that carries a good selection of stuff but offers something extra in the way of customer service.

Thanks,
Shawn Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clemen's?
Posted by: McKee Boykin (---.tnt2.columbia.sc.da.uu.net)
Date: April 03, 2002 09:20PM

I don't know why you seem to be having a problem with Clemen's Tackle. It takes a while to process and mail these catalogs. It took several weeks for mine to come. I assure you that they will send you a catalog if they got your order. I hope it comes soon, it is a good catalog, as are the others to your left.

Posted by: Michael H Kennedy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2002 09:26PM

I ordered a catalog about a month and a half ago and received it in two days. I'm not to sure why they never sent one. I'm having the same problem with custom tackle. Tried everything to get a catalog, but it never came. As for the phone I'm having the same problem as you are. I've been tring for three days too with no sucess either. I hope someone else may have the answer because I'm alittle curious myself as to why they have been busy for the last three days. Mike

Posted by: Tracy Steele (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2002 09:49PM

you can see the entire catalog online

Posted by: Dave Joseph (---.dialne.bright.net)
Date: April 04, 2002 06:58AM

Tracy is right. It can also be downloaded to your pc and printed at your convenience. My catalog is pretty tattered now, so I did the download and printed a few pages fresh.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 04, 2002 07:56AM

just keep trying to call rose at clemen's is so nice but there also a very busy suppiler ... dont give up i have tryed callen them some time for hours them bam!!! first ring its answered ..... also dont forget you can fax you order to her or even email they will reply and there just like all the others on the left are wonderful suppliers hope it helps ...John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's .... also just down load the cat its on a pdf file.... very easy and you never have to wonder were did i leave that cat ........

Posted by: John Chaney (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: April 04, 2002 09:05AM

Phone line being busy tells me that they have tons of happy customers calling in orders, I happen to be one of them! I call and if the line is busy then I go do something else and try later, I have always talked to them the same day I wanted to. Rose and Dick have always treated me well, THANKS CLEMENS!
John Chaney

Posted by: ISRAEL WEINTRAUB (209.21.109.---)
Date: April 04, 2002 09:14AM

You can download and print the catalog Saves a lot of time on the phone . Look to the sponsor list click onto Clemens and follow the instructions

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: April 04, 2002 10:50AM

Shawn,
I can really relate to your situation. Just about two weeks ago I had the same expeirence with Clemens. I had a lengthy conversation with one of their employees about this very problem. It is unbelievable to me that they do not have a line dedicated to orders and one dedicated to technical questions. I am in the same type of business (different industry) as Clemens and I wouldnt even think about having just one phone line for my customers to call. Clemens is a very good company to do business with, and I have several very good friends that work there, but something needs to be done about the phone situation. Honestly I got so frustrated with the busy signal, I gave up and gave my order to another supplier.

Andy

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2002 12:10PM

Andy brings up a very interesting point re two phone lines but while it would help being human it won't take long before people start calling with questions on the order line. I have found using fax to be the easiest soulution to ordering.It seems that in this business or hobby we expect the vendors to provide far more service then just filling orders, there are always some questions to be answerd and these services do take considerably more time, find a vendor who will do nothing but fill orders and they won't be around for long for the sensors it is" Darned if you do and Darned if you don't."
CATALOGS- We all love getting the new catalogs browsing thru them looking at all the new toys available but rarely do we think of the ammount of time, effort and cost that goes into printing the catalogs knowing that a month later items will be discontinued or new items to add.So I say yes we need the catalogs in print and online but we also need to cut the vendors some slack with keeping them current, and available.
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 04, 2002 12:20PM

I am told repeatedly that people cannot get through to RodMaker as the phone is busy all day. They're right - I get over 100 calls each day and many of them are in regard to how to find the spine of a rod, how many guides to use, where to buy stuff, what's the difference between a casting and spinning blank, etc., etc. I would imagine that most of the sponsors listed here have to field similar calls all day long as well.

The problem is not always caused by having too few phone lines, but by not enough personel to handle all the calls. And each caller expects to be helped. If Clemens added more phone lines, they'd have to answer more calls, which ultimately means that nothing really gets improved unless they also add more people to answer those calls. Whether or not that would be economically feasible is something I cannot answer for them. I know it wouldn't work here.

Posted by: Greg Ostrom (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2002 02:35PM

As a business owner for over 20 years I would like to respond. First, no business wants any customer to wait or to be put on hold. We due our best to answer customers questions. Some customers just take longer to service, they may need more information or have greater problems to solve. Second, put yourself in the other customers shoes. You surely would want your time on the phone to either make and order, check on an order or to ask questions of the buisness your contacting. Third, when placing orders, asking about inventory, shipment times, problems or just plain need information, use your FAX. At least here in our business we welcome customers to use the FAX. We have a written record of what you need and we can help you better and respond quicker. No lost time for either of us looking up information or being distracted. Fourth, we do our best to help old established customers and new customers with the same courtesy. It is a busy world and we try our best, sometimes no matter what you do it is not good enough.

Date: April 04, 2002 02:49PM

Guys,
I don't want to keep up this string, as I truly think that Clemens is a great place to do business with. But I have to say, I have been to the Clemens place of business in Allentown and seen their operation, and I know they have enough people to handle at least handle two incoming lines. And I can really relate to what John and Tom are talking about, as I do sales and technical support for a wholesale electronics distributor...it is a constant balancing act Myself and one other guy handle three lines!!! My point is that at least you wouldn't get an annoying busy signal. If there was a way for someone to leave a message and get a timely call back or go to voice mail, at least they would feel like they were getting through in some small way. However when I call for three hours straight every 10 or 15 min, and can't get through, I begin to wonder who is taking advantage of the phone. My opinion is that customers should not have to pay to place an order with a company, so an 800 line would help there. And John, you are so correct about people taking advantage of the 800 line for tech support, you just politely remind them that this line is for orders only and hope they have enough respect to not use it for that purpose in the future.
The whole point here is that you can't make it difficult for your customers to do business with you, and when all of the other vendors and wholesalers have multiple lines, and I can get in touch with them every time I call, the first time I call, then survival of the fitttest dictates which companies customers will gravitate to....Just my opinion

Andy

P.S. Dick I really hope you read this, I would love to buy more product from Clemens, you have a very good company, and a tremendously knowledgeable staff, BUT I CAN NEVER GET THROUGH!!!!!!!

Posted by: Wesley Chappell (161.33.3.---)
Date: April 04, 2002 07:10PM

Just because you have more lines does not mean you have to have more people. They are now making very cheap FIFO devices for letting people hold in a cue. I know I for one do not like hearing a busy singnal every time I call. I would rather be in a cue that way I no I will get through

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: April 04, 2002 07:47PM

Try to look at the customer's point of view. Many of the calls may be to order one or two items or perhaps many of the same items, but I usually call to talk to someone regarding the purchase of all the components of a rod I would like to build. I ask for suggestions, advise, and whatever imformation they can provide to put this all together. This requires the time and patience of one person, which ties up that line. The hope is that other lines will be open for other people. I also have had my problems with the "busy" houses, so I call those companies that are not so busy, and get great results. In addition, a busy line does not necessarily mean more business to a firm, but may mean a line being tied up by one person for a long period of time to get his order complete. One solution would be for the company to leave a message for the caller to leave a number where he can be contacted at the most convenient time. Sometimes this works well, other times, I never receive a return call. It is a good firm that can walk the tightrope and satisfy most of it's customers.
Sanford Hochman

Date: April 05, 2002 09:27AM

Amen.....

Posted by: Rose Miller (---.abepa.fast.net)
Date: April 05, 2002 11:20AM

I think Sanford has said it all. I have built more rods over the telephone than most people have built in a lifetime and unfortunately, it's not always cut and dry. A typical first time caller will say " I'm hoping you have the time to help me....I have never built a rod and need all the help I can get....will you please walk me through the order and help me put all the components together to build a fly rod....I also need the basic tools, and info on how to spine the blank , guide spacing, what finish is best, should I use color preserver, also , should I uplock or downlock, and how does this affect the balance of the rod?, etc., etc., etc., oh, and by the way, I don't have a catalog".
Now, what do I do?, Do I tell the customer to buy a book or video and call me back when he's ready and possibly lose a potential good customer, not to mention denying him the help he needs from an experienced builder, or do I "walk him through the order"?
I think you all know the answer....unless this customer doesn't know a fishing rod from a golf club, I will help him as much as I can for as long as I have to . This will tie me up for sometimes 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. But the customer will be satisfied and will most surely call back again and won't mind trying time and time again if he knows he will get the service he got the last time. This is how we operate at Clemens and I'm sorry for all you people who try to get through and get that dreaded busy signal. We try to accomodate everyone as best we can. We have gone through some major changes and are trying very hard to get rid of the gliches. An 800 line for ordering would be a disaster. Some people take advantage of the free call and stay on the line forever. Yes, a tech support line would be helpful, but you need the manpower to do it. So for now we do the best we can. We start answering calls at 8:00 AM. There's also usually a slack time between 11:00 and 1:00, and between 4 & 5. (EST). We apolgize for all of you frustrated people who can't get through, but please don't get discouraged....try again and again, and we'll do our best to make your efforts worthwhile.
Thank you for continued patience....

Rose

Posted by: Tony Ivie (---.farmersagent.com)
Date: April 05, 2002 11:57AM

As one of those beginners, I can say I very much appreciated your staying on the line with me. If it were not for all of the help I got from people like Clemens' I probably wouln't have tried this. My first attempt was through Cabela's, got through on the first ring, but do you think I got any of my technical questions answered. Thats why I just placed another order w/ Clemen's, even though it took me a couple of tries.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: April 05, 2002 12:13PM

If you really want to put into perspective how nice it is to deal with Clemens, Mudhole, Custom Tackle, Merrick, Janns, Anglers Workshop, Heads or Tails, just to name a few of the distributors I've dealt with, try calling your computer mfrs. tech or service support. Call your local service dept. at the auto dealership. Try the phone co. or credit card companies. I think you get the message. These people have been more courteous and helpful, made less mistakes, and been more friendly to talk to than any other industry I've dealt with. Myself, I'm happy to wait my turn to talk to them, because I know what the alternatives can be.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: John Ito (---.boeing.com)
Date: April 05, 2002 12:52PM

I would actually prefer to keep redialing than be in a que for 45 minutes - racking up the long distance charges. Didn't have to, though, I got through on my first try (beginner's luck?). Hope the rest of the transaction goes as smoothly.

I did learn one lesson with Clemens, fax or phone your order...only one person (Dick) reads the email and if he's out of town, your out of luck!

By the way, great board, it's great to read so many well informed posters.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster