I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marble Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 04:27PM

I have a rod on the dryer that has a four inch split grip area that has been wrapped with Black HT Metallic and a coat of Flex Coat Lite applied. I am after a rather specific pattern of marble with only fine lines of secondary colors. I typically dot the white with a toothpick and go back through it with a dental pick. Using my technique the white spreads out quite a bit from the applied dots and I end up with splotches of white. I am trying to get the effect of thin spider webb white stringers in the surface without any large splotches of white. I have Flex Coat Lite, Flex Coat Reg, LS, Glass Coat and Tapp and Gel Coat pigments. Please suggest the best way to finish this thing without any large white splotches.

Much Thanks

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2005 04:30PM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marble Question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 04:45PM

Ed, I would use the thinnist piece of stiff wire that I could find (A strait pin or sewing needle would work) and lightly dip into the white and pull through the base coat. I would let the base coat and white set for a while first so they don't have a tendency to "bleed"

Bill, I found a cuticle trimmer like you had in Charlotte (strangely enough, at Walgreens) that included free sharpening and it's the best $20 I've spent on a tool. Tags and "nubs" are a thing of the past! Thanks!

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 07:00PM

Out here in the wilds of Montana, I go to a store that sells livestock supplies and get 26ga needles, or maybe it's 29ga, anyway you would not want to get a shot with one. Load up the syringe with the needle mounted and out comes a very fine line of epoxy! Needle and syringe will cost about $2.00.

Posted by: robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 07:01PM

bill maybe let your colored epoxy set up longer then usual it wont spread out as much

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 07:23PM

I just did a marble with LS Supreme Hi build and found that if I let it set up for a while after applying the base coat color, the marble colors don't bleed nearly as much as with the regular finish (which I usually use). Allows for much finer detail in the marblizing.

I like the long thin needle or wire idea... maybe making very thin rings of white on your background while the rod is rotating... then going back with the wire and drawing those rings out lenghtwise to look like spiderwebs....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 08:04PM

For thin spider like lines would the better choice of Flexcoat Lite or Glass Coat. Are there any known tricks like Glass Coat Coat - let sit a few minutes - marble in tinted secondary colors of Flexcoat or something like that. I want to do the best I can for a rod delivery Friday.

Thanks again

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster