I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bumper guide placement 2
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:15PM

Since my last post is already on page 2, here is the current status. I tried a higher frame guide for the butt guide(actually a size 8 alconite spinning guide the high one since that was all I have available right now) to see if the higher ring height would help but the line actually was further from touching the ring on the first 180 guide under load. Next, I tried using a double foot size 10 alconite followed by a 7 BLAG for the bumper and the first 180, size 6 BLAG's out to the tip. Using this, the line will almost contact the first 180 degree guide when put under load. The line makes a straight line from the second 180 degree guide to the butt guide when loaded. The line just touches or almost touches the 1st 180 degree guide opposite the leg, but does not actually seem to be transferring any load to the guide. Right now the butt guide is 21" from the reel face (a curado), the 1st 180 degree guide is 9 inches in front of the butt guide, and the next guide is 7 inches from the first 180 degree guide. To load the rod I have held the rod in one hand and pulled the line with the other and also tied the line to a fence and backed away as much as I dared and the rod did definetely load to the point where it was locked up plus a bit.

By the way, the rod (shikari pmb 703, 1/4-3/4, 10-17#) still casts a 3/8 oz casting plug (actually weighs like 0.26 oz, the company apparently does not own a scale) quite nicely. No complaints with the casting ability of the set up at all. I never would have originally set up a rod with guides sizeds this small. If I can just get that 180 guide to behave now, I will be happy. I sure feel like a less than brilliant rod builder right now, so any help would be great so I can get my 6th rod finished!

Thanks

Dean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bumper guide placement 2
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:36PM

I'm not sure you need to do anything else. It sounds like you have a very fast action rod with a rather stout butt section that isn't flexing very much. I'd wrap it up and go fishing and see how it works out. In terms of stress distribution, such a stout rod can get away with guides being a bit farther apart. I wouldn't carry this to an extreme, but I think you're going to be fine.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:44PM

Tom,

I would call the blank between fast and moderate fast, but it does defintely have a stout butt section. Do you think I should stick with the 10 ,7's and 6's for guide sizes or go back to a 12, 2 8's and the rest 6's? Thanks for you help

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:50PM

I'd have to play with it some but I'm not so sure I wouldn't go with a 12 and then 6's on out, with the 8 for a bumper. If that set up casts okay, I'd be tempted to stick with it. Then I'd do the same thing but try the 12 with 7's out and the same 8 for the bumper. I'd use whichever one seems to cast the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster