I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gill/Crappie rod suggestion
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 08:39PM

Need opinions on a 7 7 1/2' light moderate/fast blank for serious Gill fisherman castng bobber/live bait that won't break the bank! Considering a fly rod blank if their are any that are fast enough for that type of fishing.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2005 08:51PM by Mike Barkley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gill/Crappie rod suggestion
Posted by: Travis Thomspon (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:02PM

I just finnished a 9' forecast 3# for a guy that uses it for crappies and loves it. I'm also building another for my brother inlaw that is a 7'8" forecast 3# 2 piece. for gills. I think it is going to be awsome.

Date: April 26, 2005 09:29PM

Travis,
What's the action like on the 7'8"?? How would it do with a slip bobber? Don't want it too whippy

Mike

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:56PM

How about the Tigereye GS 76 2L blanks that Neal carries? About one of the only light 7 ft 6 in blanks I know of that's in the lower end of the price scale.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dialup.netins.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 10:39PM

Mike, I just finished a rod just for that purpose.

RX7 Popping Rod Blanks (Matte Clear Finish)
IP842 7'0" 1pc 6-12lb test MOD/FAST MED-LT $38.07 (Custom Tackle Supply)

Was afraid it'd be a little to heavy when I ordered it but I think it's going to be just fine.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 10:52PM

way to whippy for bobbers!!! They cast very small jigs a good distance and dont tear the soft mouths of the crappies. Can also be used like a noodling rod.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.75.21.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 11:02PM

Mr. Mike,
Not sure what the limit is, but for me, it's pretty tough to beat a St. Croix SCII. Personally I like 6' blanks, but for a 7' a 2S70MLF or ULF. The ULF would be better for strictly crappie and gills, but I like MLFs because in your stomping grounds, you have a good chance of hooking into a walleye or a northern when crappie fishing. You can pick them up for around 40 bucks.

Outside of that, my really cheap favorite is a forecast SP780. I just ordered a couple more from Neal just for crappie.

Date: April 26, 2005 11:29PM

Hi Mick,

These are a couple rods intended for Gills/crappies in Rice lake (Canada) and Perch in Lake Simco (Canada) St Croix is one of my favorites and one that is being considered!

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.135.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 07:20AM

The St Croix has nice 7' 2 PC fast and moderate UL's.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 07:51AM

Mike,

I have built a couple of IP 840's from Batson and the old Cascade's from Mud Hole. These are about as ultra lite as they get for less than $30.

Ed

Date: April 27, 2005 03:52PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! The St Croix are looking pretty good but so are the rest!!

Mike

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:30PM

Mike, please let me know what blank you ultimately decide on for the crappie rod. I have a guy wanting one as well. But I believe he wants to throw jigs. I could use suggestions on blank choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster