I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simple wrap guides?
Posted by: Dave Rakowitz (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 07:42PM

Wanting some help on which guides to use for a couple of rods . Both will be 7' with one for cranking and one as a worm-jig rod. Can single foot fly guides like the fuji j ring alconites be used all the way ? (say # 10 butt at 0, #8 bumper at 90 and #8 as first guide at 180 under then taper down to 6's). Will be using up to 20# test mono. If not all single foot guides what is the minimum number of double footed guides that can be used?
Thanks, Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simple wrap guides?
Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:11PM

You can use single foot guides all of the way up a rod but unless you fish from a padded fishing boat, those first 2 or 3 guides typically take a beating when laying a rod down. Unless I were going to have the rod either in my hand or in a case and never lay it down, I would use a double foot for the butt and the second guide and try a single foot for the bumper guide. It may have to be replaced at some point with a double foot. I will shortly be building a 7' casting rod for bass/pike, mainly using 25-40 lb braided and I am going to try a single foot bumper with the other two being double foot. I'll be using a #12 DF, #8 SF bumper and a #10 DF, then #8 SF and finally #7 SF on out.

Only way to really know is to give it a try.

Re: Simple wrap guides?
Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 03:26PM

I never use double-foot guides on any of my rods now. I try to use the smallest guides possible, and most of the time, I use the fly guides you mentioned. If I need a higher frame butt guide, I'll use a single-foot high-frame spinning guide. I've never had any trouble at all, either on my rods, or the ones I've built for other people. Even though the j ring guides are built lighter than the previous Fuji fly guides, they're still extremely overbuilt for the job they perform. In short, they're really tough. Go ahead and use the set-up you mentioned in your post. You'll be really happy with the rods.

The only thing about your set-up that I would re-consider would be the use of 6s for running guides. They will work fine, but with 20 lb. test, you might get some rattling or "chatter" as the line goes through the 6s. It doesn't hurt anything, but I prefer 7s when I'm going to use line that heavy. Test casting will give you an idea whether the 6s or 7s are more appropriate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster