I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for a 3wt?
Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 04:14PM

I've got a friend that is asking me to build him a nice short 3wt rod for brook trout. I've been looking at lami fiberglass blanks, but wanted to hear the opinions of other before I purchased it. The only requirement that I have is that it loads quickly with short lines, but still has the spine to through buggers and nymphs 35'.... If anyone has opinions, just let 'er rip!

-- Cheers
-- James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for a 3wt?
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 04:48PM

I really, really like my Lamiglass Appalachain 7'6" 3wt.

For the money, I also think it's hard to beat the Forecast 7'9" 3wt.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 05:27PM

I'm building a H&H IM7 7'9" 3wt (glossy green) for a friend.
Its a tight little blank, and definitely can throw heavier flies, but delicate enough for tossing #22's in close.
I have also built the Forecasts in 2,3, and 4wts. Great for the price!
RB

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 06:43PM

The Forecast 6'6" 2 weight is really much more of a 3 would be great for the job. I fished it one day using #26 midge dry flies from 10-25' and the next day using #16 tungsten bead head nymphs upto about 20'. A little hard to high-stick with due to it's short length but overall it's a very nice little rod and is very easy to cast for it's length.

I would also suggest the St. Croix 7'0" 3 weight SCIII. If your friend lives near a fly shop that carries St. Croix send him down there to test cast the Avid series. These are very sweet rods and the blanks can be had for around $60.

Mark

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 10:10PM

i have a 7' three wt lamiglass honey colored fiverglass blank and think it meets your requirements. it loads easily close in and can reach out to your 35' distance but 35' is not its sweet spot. most small stream fishing is done much closer than that anyway. i really like mine. mine is the two piece but it comes in three and also six pc.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 26, 2005 10:46PM

I have an arsenal of 3wts.

7'9" Rainshadow (USA)- the rod I use most often, my "go-to" rod.
7'0" Honey Lamiglass 3pc - Very nice rod, loads well in close, a bit heavy when compared to graphite. Bridges the gap nicely between graphite and cane.
7'0" St.Croix - Very light and snappy blank. Decievingly delicate looking but has backbone for throwing more line or larger flies.
7'9" Forecast - 95% of the performance of the Rainshadow above. Great rod for the money.
6'6" Rainshadow (2wt but throws a nice 3) - Nice for small stream work, struggles to get any distance though. 35' would be work.

All very nice rods but different. If I had to pick only one, it would be the 7'9" Rainshadow (USA made).

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 26, 2005 11:24PM

check out the diamondglass rods/blanks. i saw and cast my first today, an 8 foot 4 weight. interesting. they have 3 models in 3 weight.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:31AM

Mark,

I have actually found the 6'6" forecast to be a cannon. Are you using a 2 or 3 weight line? I've been able to cast 65-70 feet with a 3 weight line. With a heavy nymph at the end of the line I was still able to cast past 40' (the longest cast I saw fit to make while fishing the last time.)

This rod does require a little more arm work because of it's short length but if you give it a relatively long stroke and an abrupt stop it will lay out some very tight loops and shoot more line than you need every time.

Mark

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:00AM

You've gotten plenty of good suggestions, but I can suggest one more. The Lamiglas "Blue Ridge" blanks, which are 3-pc construction with a graphite butt, graphite/glass composite mid, and a glass tip. They are really outstanding. I just finished a 7' 3pc 3wt, and it's everything I would want from such a rod. Slow action, but it's not buggy whip weak like some glass rods, and the graphite in the butt provides plenty of stability during the cast. These are *really* nice.

Bob

Appalachain Traveler/Blue Ridge Comparison
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:36AM

Bob - I seem to recall that you reviewed the Appalachain Traveler when it first came to market. If so, what are your observations comparing it to the Blue Ridge (or if anyone else has observations). I seem to be in Mark's camp that you can't have too many 3wts :) and I'm considering wrapping up a 7' 3wt Blue Ridge next. Not intended to "replace" the 7'6" Traveler, but to be one more in the arsenal.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 02:28PM

Hey Mark (Janeck)--which Rainshadow...RX7 or RX8? (Just curious...I like 'em both!).

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 03:48PM

John Launstein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Mark (Janeck)--which Rainshadow...RX7 or RX8?
> (Just curious...I like 'em both!).

And would that be an RX7+ and RX8+?

BTW, thanks for the heads up on all of the products. John is gonna have a hard time figuring out what he'll want with all the info I've gotten! :)

-- Cheers
-- James

Re: Appalachain Traveler/Blue Ridge Comparison
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 03:59PM

The Blue Ridge is much softer full-flex action than the Appalachian. It bends deeply, but doesn't have have the "tail wagging the dog" feel that some glass rods have. The graphite in the blank adds a lot of stability. I have not fished it yet, but I was standing out in the front yard last night with a goofy grin on my face while I was casting it. I hope to get it on the water this weekend.

I had built an early model Lamiglas fiberglas blank when they sold some that were painted black. The Blue Ridge is more powerful, and to my casting hand, much more user friendly. The Blue Ridge recovers better than an all-glass rod, and the blank diameter isn't nearly as large (i.e. you don't have to hunt for special reel seats). It still has more "heft" than a comparable graphite, but on a shorter rod like that, it actually feels nice.

Like I said up above, I *really* like this one. If it fishes as well as it lawn casts, I'll be mighty impressed.

Bob

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 05:02PM

The 8' 6" or 9' 2 piece 3# IMX blanks made into sweet 3/4 weights if you ever come upon one. This was prior to the the current 3 piece model.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 28, 2005 11:34AM

Mark S. asked:
"I have actually found the 6'6" forecast to be a cannon. Are you using a 2 or 3 weight line?"

Mine is actually the Rainshadow 662, RX7. I tried a DT2F but preferred a DT3F for the shorter distances. I found it nice and performed well at distances that I would fish with a short 2wt, but recall having difficulty reaching out to some up and downstream targets. This probably has alot to do with my less than refined casting stroke. I've only been flyfishing for 3 years, so I still have another 22 years to go before I can say I'm an 'average' caster ;-)

John and James, All my rainshadows are 2 years old at least, RX7's American Made. I haven't tried any of the RX8 or newer Rainshadows yet (I intend to).

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster