I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 weight rod kit
Posted by: John Steger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2005 08:59PM

I am giving serious thought to the H & H 6'6" 2 weight IM6 rod kit (on sale for a couple of more days) . I haven't built a rod in about 15 years, and want to get back to it. I figured this would be a good way to start and get a small rod for the little creeks in my area. My last fly rod was a J K Fisher 6 weight. I caught a nice brookie with it today, after being off the water for about 5 years (I am going to blame my kids ) . Yes, I was casting like a drunken monkey until I slowed down.
I would just like an impression of the kit itself. I will probably order a set of single foot guides to go with it instead of the snakes. Other than that, it looks like a real good deal for $72 with a bag and case. I'm afraid I got the rod building jones again.
Thank goodness for the internet and goups like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 weight rod kit
Posted by: John Dow (---.214.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 25, 2005 09:55PM

You can't beat those kits , nice blanks for the $, and your on the right track to get the single foots . Bob is also a great guy to deal with . All that stuff for 75$ or so , it's tough to beat . Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Jeff Robinson (---.ppp.bngr.epix.net)
Date: April 25, 2005 10:01PM

I just completed a H&H IM6 2 wt this weekend. I went w/ single foot guides as well.
It seems like a fine rod
It casts better than expected.
On the stream later this week.
Good luck, have fun
Jeff

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 10:09PM

John-

That rod is awesome. I built the forecast 4 PC 2WT for use in PA, WVA, and the local ponds. It casts well for its relative size and weight and looks fantastic. You can't go wrong! I have pictures if you would like some sent to you, email me.

Defjam@core.com

Domenic

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:03AM

It CCs at 3.2, so be ready for that. A 2 wt it isn't, unless you're fishing at 50-60 ft.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (209.81.164.---)
Date: April 26, 2005 10:27AM

Mike brings up a good point. You may want to consider the forecast if you're after a "lighter" 2 wt rod. I took the advice of others and "over-lined" it with a 3Wt line. I like it, but it certainly is a 30 ft or less rod for pin-point accuracy casting (which I prefer). The H&H is more a 3.5Wt, if I can comment on feel alone as compared to the Forecast. I also, knowing that this will start an discussion 3 pages long, wrapped the guides on the spine creating a different feel when fighting a fish and casting.

DF

Date: April 26, 2005 01:35PM

Sure! Now you want to give me options. Like I don't have a hard enough time making up my mind. Actually I was looking to go with a 4 piece blank and for some reason didn't notice the forecast until you mentioned it. I am more concerned with the length than whether it is a 2 or 3 wgt. I have a lot of small brooks that you can walk across by my home. My 8ft. 6 wgt. was too much.
Now I may go 4 pc. forecast and make a rod case out of mahogany. See, you just caused me more work. I have to make a new winding jig any way, as my old one is no place to be found. By the time I get done, I could buy a Winston ready made.
I have never fished a 2 or 3 wgt. so I will take everyones opinion and may over line it.
By the way Dom your pictures are grat. I was wondering if you went with the H&H single foot guide set?

Date: April 26, 2005 04:09PM

I am so easily swayed. I ordered the Forecast 4pc 2 wgt with the 6.5 single foot chrome plated guide set. Now I have to find my rod building books and I hope they didn't get lost. If they did you will see more stupid questions on this list than you could possibly imagine.
Thank s to everyone for the help.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:29PM

John-

You'll be happy with the single footers. I would love to take the credit for this rod's magnificence...but it was truly due to the many suggestions and helpful inviduals off this site that caused it to come out so well. I am glad you liked it!

Order up some metalic blue thread for accents and you'll like the look even more!

Domenic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster