I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

planer board rod, high ride or low ride guides?
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: April 23, 2005 02:22PM

Is there an advantage to having high ride guides? If you set the spiral wrap up correctly the line shouldn't touch the blank anyway right?
What is your preference? I will be using an 8 foot telescoping St. Croix blank for the Planer Board trolling rod.
Thanks,
Buzz Butters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: planer board rod, high ride or low ride guides?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 24, 2005 01:06AM

You won't be casting this rod to speak of, Buzz. I'd opt for the lower riding guides on it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Travis Thomspon (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: April 24, 2005 07:17AM

I've only build 1 spiral wrapped rod and the line looked alot straiter with lower guides than with taller ones. But that was with a low profile casting reel. What are you using for a reel. How ya been Buzz? keepin those kids at school in line?

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: April 24, 2005 09:29AM

Thanks for the info guys. I will go with the low riders. The reels are Okuma line counters so the line feed is pretty close to the blank to begin with.
Hi Travis, Speaking of low riders, my delinqu, ah I mean my youthful offender anglers are doing quite well. Now that the ice is off the lakes I have been putting a lot of used rod and reel combos in their hands. Hopefully they will spend their time hauling fish out of our local pond as opposed to throwing stolen property into it.

Buzz

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: April 24, 2005 09:36PM

thats good to hear!! You and Ron Walter do so much to help our youth. There should be some awards given to you two. Keep up the good work. Oh yeah and if you want to go fishing this summer I'd love to try planner boards. I was prefishing a tournament today with my partner and he hauled in a 4 1/2# smallmouth. Wisconsin River. As usual I only caught a couple little ones

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 24, 2005 10:36PM

Sounds like my life story, Travis, but I am GREAT with the net!!

Buzz, I have two long trolling rods set up with those Okuma line counters that I marbled. I have low riders on both of them and they don't cast too bad when I want to get a Rapala out a bit ahead (esp. during a tournament). I think you'll be fine, here. Take care of those kids; you and Ron are quite an example for anyone to try and follow!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster