I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

off topic -fly reel
Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 07:53PM

Apologies for the off-topic thread, but I am more likely to receive the response I need from this forun than most others.
Would someone please allow me a little feedback on their impressions of and experiences using the
Ross "Cimmaron" model fly reel? If possible, specifically the reel for 9/10 wt line?
Would appreciate any help I can get. Have almost been talked into one of these, but just do not personally know anyone who has one. Many thanks, Gary

Gary Bechtel
North Channel Tackle Service

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: off topic -fly reel
Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 08:03PM

An excellent reel (center drag ) with a great company to back it up. In this price range, I'd also look at the Pflueger Trion or Orvis Mid-Arbor (same reel) or the Tioga or Teton reels.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 08:03PM

An excellent reel (center drag ) with a great company to back it up. In this price range, I'd also look at the Pflueger Trion or Orvis Mid-Arbor (same reel) or the Tioga or Teton reels.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:04PM

I haven't used one personally, but I have a friend who has one and likes it a lot. Hope this helps,

Peter

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 10:34PM

An outstanding reel at the price. Actually as good or better than many higher priced reels IMO.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 12:29AM

"more likely to receive the response I need from this forun than most others"

My home waters fly fishing forum has many posts on this reel. If you posted there to ask this question you would be pounded by responses. All positive. I purchased a Cimarron 2 based these opinions. Have yet to get it wet but clearly a quality reel.

Like Stan said.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 01:04AM

The Orvis BBS V that I got last weekend at the Orvis Catalog Clearance is a darn nice reel too in that same price range...if you are looking to compare, anyway.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 01:54PM

I don't have experience with the larger cimmaron you are speaking of but I do have a Ross Cimmaron # 2. It is a wonderful reel. Very solid and good looking to boot. I have never had to use their service but when I researched reels and the ross company - all I heard was positive comments. For 150 to 200 dollars and a lifetime warranty - I don't think you can beat this reel.
Greg

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (---.arc178.smfrct1.dasdial.com)
Date: April 24, 2005 10:18PM

I own both the Teton Tioga and the Ross Cimarron, and the Tioga wins hands down! The Cimarron is toy compared to the Tioga. Take the spool off of both reels, and you will see big difference in construction!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster