I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing for Forcast 9/10 spey?
Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 02:59PM

Just picked up the 14 footer from Hook and Hackle, and I'm impressed! What a chunk of graphite!

Anyway, I was hoping I could get some help with a starting point for guide spacing....not too sure how effective I can static dist. with this behemoth in my living room! Never built a spey before, so hopefully someone can chime in

Thanks,
Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing for Forcast 9/10 spey?
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 04:31PM

Drop me an email I will send you my suggested guide spacing.
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: David Olley (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2005 05:15PM

I have just ordered a 14' Spey blank to fish for Salmon in Scotland. I have been thinking of breaking with tradition and fitting Fuiji guides and reel seat and split duplon (EVA) handles. Has anyone tried this and is it likely to improve the action of the blank without the large cork handle
Regards
Dave Olley

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 06:42PM

While we're on the subject of this spey rod blank....Does anyone else hold the opinion that the modulus on this rod may be a little low for a spey rod? It was brought up by a friend when I suggested that I may want to build a combo float/fly rod on the 7 Wt Blank.

Thanks,
Domenic

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:54PM

Domenic--I think you might be surprised to find out the modulus of many spey blanks! :0 The bottom line is these Forecast spey's are in fact VERY nice sticks. I had them in the hand of one of the more respected spey gurus on the West Coast recently and he felt they were "right up there" with a number of his favorites. You can't go wrong with the price, either! :)

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 03:07AM

One of the sweetest casting Spey setups I've seen was built on a 33mil blank...

Some of the fastest tapered fly rods I have fished were made from 33mil...

My current favorite 1 weight is 33mil...

Modulus gets all too much credit these days...

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 11:19AM

TY!

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: April 22, 2005 11:38AM

Check out Hook & Hackle's catalog, they have a spacing chart at the begining of their blanks section.

Tim

Posted by: Steven Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 02:20PM

I fish spey rods 99% of my time, out there every week. Here's my take on lower modulus graphite in spey rods. Below I will use "lower modulus" as synonymous with slower recovery per unit graphite mass.

In my experience the lower mod graphites aren't a problem at all in the butt section of rods. The mass at the butt matters very little for swing weight. In most spey rod designs butt recovery rate isn't a big issue because a lot of graphite is used for stiffness, deflection is comparatively low, so recovery rate is less relevant for performance. Very few rods are designed from the ground up to deflect at the butt.

Towards the very tip, the lower mod graphites with slower recovery can accentuate shock loops on the forward cast. This is the major problem it seems to me. Spey rods are long levers, they deflect a lot during the cast, and the need for quick recovery of a long lever is accentuated if tight loops are desired. Some try to overcome the recovery and shock loop problem by designing a heavier stouter tip to add stiffness. This tip stiffness can actually be beneficial to a point in controlling change of direction casts. The tip doesn't get nervous and fold when casting long bellies, or super heavy tips. But extra stiffness with low mod at the tip can also place excessive weight on the business end of a very long lever. I have had good luck using rods with low mod graphite in the butt, and higher mod graphites towards the tip.

The blather above is just a general opinion from having cast most USA made rods, and many more from UK and Asia. It certainly doesn't imply that high mod rods are better. Design is always paramount. The general trend has been towards much better rods at all prices, and that's great. I hope to get my hands on a new Batson for a whirl sometime. I have no commercial affiliations.

Posted by: Steven Reedy (80.148.22.---)
Date: May 11, 2005 12:45PM

Ray,

What did you come up with for guide spacing?

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster