I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Testors Model Paint
Posted by: Shane M. Hunter (---.bvu.edu)
Date: April 20, 2005 03:24PM

Has anyone used testors model paint to paint a rod? I tried it on an extra blank that had a bunch of scratches and so far it looks pretty good.

Shane

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Testors Model Paint
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 06:01PM

I have mixed it with epoxy and colored blanks. But as for painting them no I haven't. The general consensus is to let the bottle set and seperate, then pour off the top layer and just use the pigment. But I have used it strait in epoxy with no problem, YET! But others more savvy than I will chime in here. Putter is the resedent authority on marbeling. Ken Preston the blank coloring GURU.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Dennis Garmon (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 08:21PM

I've had excellent results with klass Kote.

Gar

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 11:27PM

Bill you are talking about something different than Shane is.

Shane Testors paints can be airbrushed very easly. I'm not sure how it would hold up to the elements without a sealer overcoat. Here is a link that might help [www.testors.com] They make the paint, they should have the answers. Hope this helps a little. If you follow up on this let us know how you make out.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Shane M. Hunter (---.bvu.edu)
Date: April 21, 2005 03:44AM

Hank,

Bill and I are talking about the same thing. You pour the bonding agent off the top of the bottle and then add the remaining pigment in with your epoxy.. Sounds kind of messy to me....I should be done with this rod in a couple weeks and make sure I give it a good fishing workout and let you know how the paint turned out.. So far it feels very durable, but doesn't look the best brushed on...I think airbrushing would give you a much more uniform look.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Shane

Posted by: Steve Rushing (65.83.254.---)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:14AM

Shane - I did one rod with Testors. I tried to apply while it was turning and using my finger. It came out OK, but I was disappointed that it was too thick. I scraped it off and tried again. Still too thick for me in looks and it just looked like it would chip. I realize that this issue is probably more operator error than the paint, but I just had a hard time getting the feel for how much to apply per section, ie, when to add more when it felt like it was dragging. My thinking is it has something to do with being enamel. But, that's just a theory of mine or perhaps rationalization.

I switched to PlastiKote or Duplicolor for re-coloring. I have a lot better luck getting the dusting coats to be thin. I think it's because they are acrlyic laqeurs (butcherd spelling). I've also improved my results a using the wet sanding with 2000 and warm water with Dawn detergent added (a tip here on the board, and for the second time have forgotten the builder to give him credit :( ) For an over coat, I stopped by a local auto paint shop, talked to the owner and he was kind enough to sell me a clear two-part urethane in a small quantity.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 10:02AM

Shane,
Are you planning to coat the entire rod with epoxy, like Flex Coat or LS Supreme, to which you've added pigment or are you just planning to use the Testor's paint straight? These are two separate issues. Products like FC and LS are not made for coating rods, only for coating thread. A lot of us add pigments and marble relatively short sections of blanks, but not the entire rod. If you want to coat the entire rod, you need to use a product like Permagloss or Klass Kote or one of the automotive products people have been experimenting with.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: April 21, 2005 10:16AM

I think you can also pigment Permagloss also...is that right?

Jay

Posted by: Shane M. Hunter (147.92.3.---)
Date: April 21, 2005 08:24PM

Yes guys I coated the whole rod with Testors Model Paint....I am just trying it out as it is a very inexpensive blank so I am not really worried about ruining it. I went to the local wal mart to day and they have a very good selection of Plasticote paints so I may try that on my next rod. Has anyone tried the automotive cameleon paint? They had one that went form green to red depending on how you look at it in the light. Looked pretty awesome. :) Looks what you guys go me into! :)

Shane

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:23PM

i've used the red-to-green kameleon and it works very well...just keep it light..
it an awesome background for a swirl of red-orange pigment/fire in the overcoat

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 12:50AM

I've used purple to green, awesome!!!!! You have to let it sit for @ 3-4 days to make sure it is totally set up, or the thread will dig in to the finish.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster