I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread colors for Forecast dark blue blanks
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 20, 2005 02:06PM

Hi all,

I just ordered a couple of the 2003 holdover blanks from Neal's Fishing Products - by the way, AWESOME guy to work with, he was very patient with all my newbie questions and multiple emails!!!! Thanks Neal!

Anyways, the blanks are a 8'6" 4wt fly and a 6'6" UL spinning rod, both in the dark blue color. Does anyone have any suggestions for thread colors that work well with this color? I've never actually seen a Forecast blank, so I have no point of reference. Also any suggestions on guides that work well, weight wise? I'm thinking alconites or the new Amtak titanium. Can't afford SIC!!!!

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread colors for Forecast dark blue blanks
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 02:47PM

Blue dunn with CP and pearl trim is pretty hot. I just made one and customer was very happy. Good luck.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville
Dan Colville's custom rods

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 03:29PM

If you're actually getting 2003 blanks, they're green. Batson changed the color in 2004. Candy Apple Red without CP and either gold or silver metallic trim looks good on those dark green blanks.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 03:30PM

Chestnut Brown with Gold Trims.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.168.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 04:04PM

chuckling about one person's blue vs another's green. remember, males suffer from levels of color blindness. :-)

with that in mind, i just checked mine out outside; i'd say they were blue with a hint of green. so THERE! ;-) i used blue dun without CP. if you look at a graphite blank in the sun, you'll see a variation of color. a light value and dark value in the spirals. the gudebrod blue dun matches pretty closely the dark value of the old forecast fly blank color. if you view it in shade, the blue dun has more of a blue cast than the blank.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 20, 2005 04:27PM

Thanks everyone for all the help - I sure appreciate it! Just curious on exactly what the difference will be on CP vs. no CP - does no CP turn all thread transparent - or does in depend on the original color of the thread? Any general guidelines on what looks good with vs. without CP?

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 04:34PM

Just finished one, garnet with gunmetal trim, no CP. The gunmetal turned almost a medium grey...nice transition into the blank. They look dark blue to me- I see no green what so ever. Next one is going to get the darker thread treatment,(black) want it to look sinister.....you need that when your stick is only a 6'6'' 2wt!

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 04:36PM

garnet w/o cp. my favorite for the 2003 Forecast TEAL blanks.
Blue dun w cp and white trim bands for the '05 dark blue Forecast blanks.

RB

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 08:31AM

Try Cobalt if you want something a bit less flashy, but is still a nice rich color. I have one I trimmed with sunburst, and another I've trimmed with blue dun.
I've also used some Sulky thread colors that end up matching very well.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 12:02PM

I used dark green with a narrow trim band of gunmetal. It looks great agains the teal blank.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster