I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smallmouth spinning rod
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: April 20, 2005 11:23AM

Anyone have any suggestions on purchasing a blank and components for making a spinning rod for my nephew. He loves to fish for smallmouths on the Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers in Pennsylvania. Is building a spinning rod much different than making a fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smallmouth spinning rod
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 11:44AM

Volume #7 , issue #1 of Rodmaker carries an article of Tom Kirkman's describing the rod ypu refer to.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hershy01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 11:56AM

I have a 6'6" lite action St. Croix SCII spinning rod that I love for smallmouths. Granted it's a little light for some of the Susky lunkers, but other than that I love it. It is well suited for tossing finesse baits and light cranks. Its a perfect match for the smaller bass on the Juniata.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.70.197.---)
Date: April 20, 2005 11:57AM

Hi Bruce,

Wrapping guides is wrapping guides. The actual building is the same. Guide placement is a little different depending on the system you choose, but if you read through the NGC article in the library you should be just fine.

As for the blank, you've got a whole ton of options depending how he likes to fish. If I am throwing artificials mostly, I prefer a shorter rod. If I am throwing bait I like a longer rod. For the Susquehanna down around Wrightsville, The St Croix 7'6" 1/8 - 1/2 isn't out of place. For throwing a nice shiner with 2 medium split shot that would be a good bet. If you are talking the Susquehanna around Sproul or the Juniata close to Raystown then you're in smaller water and a 6'6" - 7' rod is perfect.

St Croix Avid and Rainshadow RX7 all have good rods at good prices. Just pick the one that fits the length/wt you want.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 01:57PM

You might consider a Tiger Eye 6' or 6'6", 2 pc. At about $30, they're a great value and have a senstive tip and stout butt.

Posted by: Thomas Schell (66.208.210.---)
Date: April 20, 2005 04:06PM

I have a Graphite USA 5'6" B55UL Ultra-Lite and a St Croix SCIII 5'0" 3S50ULF Ultra-lite that I use on the Shenandoah Smallmouths. You would probably want something a little stronger, but catching a strong fighting smallie on light tackle is a blast! I am currently building a 5'6" St Croix SCV Lite action spinner that will hopefully see some action in the Susq/Juniata area this summer. Can you recommend any canoe rental places for that area with campgrounds in the immediate vicinity that have cabins for rent?

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:05AM

I fish river smallies a good bit on the Potomac and sometimes the Susquehanna and Juniata. I built Tom Kirkman's river smallmouth rod (referenced above) using the St. Croix 3S60LF blank and took it out a few times last year. For small lures like Rebel craw, tiny torpedo, in-line spinners like Mepps and Panther Martin it is great. Also very good for small jigs with soft plastics. I unexpectedly caught a 7lb. tiger musky on it using a Mepps #3 Black Fury and although it was a helluva battle, the rod can handle it so it can surely handle a trophy smallmouth. I agree with Rick though that for bait I would want something a little longer, especially if wading or bank fishing.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:05AM

Hi Tom! Try this:

Earl Sanderson, 717-734-3692. His canoe place is near the Port Royal Bridge. He bought out Miller's Canoe near Mifflintown. I called him and he is taking reservations. Also, there are campgrounds in the area. I don't think Port Royal is far from Lewistown on Route 22. I hope this helps. Thanks, Bruce

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:25PM

I fish the Susquehanna and the Juniata rivers regularly for smallmouth bass. I have a whole bunch of rods I use, several of which I have built. I find that my favorites are 6'6" one piece medium light (6-10# line rating) or medium (6-12# line rating). I seem to like IM6 blanks - they seem to be pretty tough blanks for pulling snagged jigs from the rocks. Also rods built on this style blank can handle the occasional 20 incher while still being light enough to have fun with the zillions of 12 inchers. I have built rods on Pac Bay Tradition series, Shikari walleye series (6'3"), All Star, and low end Cabela's kits. All do just fine.

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster