I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Craft FT1008-4 shooting head systems?
Posted by: Preston Quan (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 20, 2005 12:19AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to build a Dan Craft FT1008-4 switch rod (a la Bob Mesier). This summer I'll be taking up to the Coppermine River for some Arctic Char fishing. It's a big, fast moving river where experienced fly fishers tell me that you should use shooting head systems.

Wondering if anyone knows the grain window for this rod. Most 8wt rods can readily shoot 300 grains or slightly more. However, I've heard these FT blanks are extraordinarily powerful. So I'm wondering how heavy (and light) this rod can handle.

As an example I was wondering if I could shoot the Teeny T-200, T-300, and even T-400. Another question would be is the 82' length of the Teeny serious too short? Should I go 100' or even 120'?

Lastly, if anyone can recommend actual shooting systems (integrated, not loop to loop) for this or any other fast action 8 wt that would be appreciated. Again it's for a fast, big river with depths 5'-9'.

Thanks in advance,
Preston
Toronto

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Craft FT1008-4 shooting head systems?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 03:23AM

Using the search engine, search for the author Bob Meiser of R.B. Meiser Rods, he has left some info on lines he has used on switch rods built on Dan's blanks. There are some spey forums that can also help you. steelheadsite.com, speypages.com, and steelheader.net, to name a few that might help. All the Teeny lines you mentioned should fish with that blank. A shooting head system I've used and really like is the Yancy lines from streamsideflyshop.com, but they are a looped system which let's me change up and customize my sinktips as needed for the conditions I come across. Much faster change ups than an integrated system which means I'm fishing more. Packs a whole bunch smaller also.

why not loops?
Posted by: Mark D. Schleinitz (---.lifespan.org)
Date: April 20, 2005 10:17AM

I think I'm with Spencer on this one. Why are you not interested in a looped system?

Back to the original question. I find that "uplining" by 2 works very well for me (though I can;t specifically comment on your specific blank) In other words, I use a 10wt head (variety of sink rates) on an 8 wt rod. Whereas others prefer more moderate actions for sinking heads, I prefer the fast action blanks akin to the FT.

One thing to consider is head length. Generally speaking, I prefer a longer head for a longer rod...30ft seems about right for a 9fter, but you might think about looking for something that has a 35 to 40 foot head for the longer rod.

I like the Rio heads, which I loop to an SA floating running line. If I am really trying to get deep I will use a single strand mono running line (Amnesia). Like Spencer, I find this lets me adapt quickly to fishing different situations.

Best regards,

mark

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.or.charter.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 12:29PM

Hi Preston,

You'll love that stick...};^)....!!!!

Very good to the see the thought process of "grain carrying capability" or "grain windows" entering more and more into the discussion of rod to line marriages <> Both single and two handed.

Dan's FT108 has a grain window of 280 to 380 plus or minus.....with the plus side favoring the various two handed deliveries.

If you'll be using the level profiled Teeny System lines on this rod, I'd opt for either the T-300 or the T-400.

In the hands of an experienced caster, the rod will handle both lines with either single or two handed applications.

From a fishing perspective, the choice of any full float/full sink shooting head is determined primarily to meet fishing conditions.

The choice of the various numbered Teeny's (for example) are more often determined by the condition of the river, and where fish are holding <> Volume of flow, clarity of water, depth of fish .....etc.

Spencer's suggested system of interchangeable sink tips, looped to a tapered profile shooting head belly is normal fare for many anglers, especially for those that include the various two handed deliveries in their inventory of casting.

....I'd consider them, as they do have great advantage <> And in the long run a well designed interchangeable tip system with front and rear tapers will allow you to really dial in your fly presentation with much more diversity then the flat tapered intergrated shooting heads <> And will also allow much more efficient , and pleasant single/two handed deliveries.

The loops on the well designed interchangeable tip shooting heads are really very minimal in size, and not an issue <> Especially if the rod is built with guide sizes in minimal numbers to acommadate them.

If your considering multi-use single and two handed applications for this rod; prefer the intergrated line systems....But will need to reach various depths in your swing: I'd consider the Hardy Mach-1 Salmon series of spey lines.

For the FT108 built as a switcher in Meiser fashion, and your described gamefish <> I'd consider the Hardy Mach-1 Salmon for 8/9 at 340 grains.

They are typical length Scandinavian style shooting shooting head tapers, and are available as full float, or in 4 additional sink rates.

They cast like lazer guided rockets on the shorter rods capable of both single and two handed deliveries.....And have sink rates to meet any river condition.

Their tapered profiles will also turn over the bigger flies, and allow the line/leader/fly to hit the water in a nice clean line, rather then in a spash and dump fashion typical of the non-tapered (level) shooting heads.

If using full sink shooting heads, and two handed delivery with the switchers...Keep your leaders VERY stiff butted, and short: 8 to 10 ft......Build them with 30# Maxima (minimum) to start, and taper off rather quickly.

....Or use 10' to 12' Salmon/Striper leaders as a base and tippet them as required.

....With the down side being that a a few extra reel spools would be required.

Hope this helps

Posted by: Preston Quan (---.mobility.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 01:37PM

Thank-you everyone for your comments.

I'm not totally against looped systems...just thought it would be nicer having a one-piece line.

Bob, when you mention the 8/9 Mach 1 Salmon for 340 grains is that the Wet 5 model (integrated) or are you talking about the Mach 1 Plus Multi-tip system?

Also took a peak at the CCS numbers and was surprised to see the ERN and AAs of the 10' vs. the 9' FTs in 8 wt. The 9 footer seems like a much more powerful and faster action rod. Given the heavy heads I want to cast is the 9 footer not more appropriate? (I know for double hand spey casts the longer rod is more advantageous).

Lastly, with the looped system should I be upping the guide size on my eyes? I'm planning on running ceramic insert single foots, not snakes.

Thanks again,
Preston

Date: April 20, 2005 01:41PM

Forgot to mention I already have an SA Quad-tip system (type II, IV, and V) for an eight weight that I could use as well. I'm also looking to get a Rio Windcutter 6/7 with tips for my CND Solstic 13'4" spey rod which I could try on this FT1008...

Preston

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.or.charter.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 03:31PM

Hi Preston,

The Hardy Mach-1 Salmon is now available with an IT tip system, or as full floater/sinkers.

...Also the Hardy Mach-1 Plus Salmon.

The Hardy Salmon Mach-1 lines are in essence Scando's, the Plus lines are mid-length belly Spey lines.

....Nor familiar with the Wet 5 versions.

As far as CC interpetaion between the Dan Craft 10's Vs. 9's?

I think that these (the CC system) are simply desk top calculations, usd as a very useful guide to assit the rod builder in benchmarking the blanks inherent characteristics....No more no less.

Actual on-the-water applications of these interpetations are what I feel will be of the most value to the angler.

I would think that either of Dan's blanks will serve your purpose for your described scenairo.

Whether they be 9' or 10' rods is your determination....The 10' rod built as a switcher will give you a bit diversity of delivery.

All of the line's mentioned should work in their capacity with the FT108 rod.

Bob Meiser

Date: April 20, 2005 04:21PM

Thanks again Bob.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 12:19PM

If you want a true Shooting head system instead of a sink tip line you can make your own fairly easily.

Rio makes a product called T-14 which is the same stuff at the end of their sinking lines. It weighs 14 grains per foot. You can make your own shooting heads by just attatching a braide loop to each end and attatching either mono or some other running line to that. If I lived in steelhead teritory I would make myself a multi tip set up. You can take a standard WF floating line and cut the first 20 feet off. Attatch a braided loop to both sides of the cut and make up a few different length sink tips (15' 210grain, 20' 280grain, 25' 350grain) with braided loops. If you're able to find a line where the 20' mark cuts somewhere in the belly of the line the system will cast a lot better as you will still have some belly and the rear taper.

Bob Mariots is the only place I've been able to find T-14. Their service is not the best but once I complained they did a prety good job trying to make up for it.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster