I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black thread without CP
Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:27AM

Can anyone help a newbie? I am using black tread with a 2 wrap gold metallic trim band on a blue blank- do I need CP or will the black and gold stay that way. I am really confused on the whole cp .vs. no cp thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black thread without CP
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:36AM

No cp is needed for black thread. Cp is really needed for light colored threads if you want them to stay the color they are.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:39AM

The black will require no CP and metallics are made from foil which does not change color with or w/o CP.

Jay

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:40AM

The black will stay black and the gold will stay gold without color preserver. If you leave lengthy tags of gold metallic thread under the black, however, they might possibly show through.

Posted by: Mike Doutaz (---.vs.shawcable.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:43AM

Jason.....black thread requires no colour preserver, neither does gold metallic trim. The coloured threads ( red, blue, green, brown etc.) change dramatically (darkens) when epoxy is applied, especially on darker coloured blanks, so CP is used when one wishes to retain the actual colour of the thread as it looks on the blank before finish is applied. The appearance of black or metallic thread will not be changed by applying CP.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:45AM

Thanks fellas, as always very helpful. I had planned on using the nail knot method since I have become really good at it with all the screw ups I have done. This will eliminate the tags of gold under the black.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 12:41PM

I have been doing black with silver metalic inlay bands and have not had a problem with the silver showing through the black thread.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 09:38PM

Absolutly no colors show through from under black nylon. I ALWAYS inlay my decorative threads under my black and NEVER use CP. Black does not turn translucent at all...so no worries. I have one turning as we speak........black with silver trim on each end (3 threads each).

Jay

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: June 26, 2006 10:11PM

Sorry to bring up this old thread from the dead, but its totally relevant to what I'm planning on doing.

I'm going to do a butt wrap with a Fish pattern. The actual fish will be silver metallic and blue metallic. The rest of the threads will be normal (not NCP) black in D size (due to the size of the blank and the amount of wraps I'd have to do otherwise). So from the posts above, this shouldn't be an issue regarding the metallics showing through the non-ncp black thread?

I only want to double check this due to the amount of time I would waste if the metallics do show through after I apply the epoxy finish (I won't be using colour preserver due to the amount of it that would be needed otherwise).

Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster