I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No intersect point?
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pit.adelphia.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 07:54AM

While setting up a 6' med. spinning rod for my dad last night, I noticed that the intersect point was exactly at the end of the blank. I tried to place the guides like that, but I couldn't get, what seemed to me, proper placement. Should I create a false intersect point x" from the tip and build from there?

Thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No intersect point?
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 08:27AM

Short answer: yes. Happens to me often enough, so I use what I call a pseudo-concept layout. Drop down with four guides reasonably quickly, then hug the blank out to the tip with fly guides. This gives you one of the main benefits of the system: reduced weight near the tip.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 08:49AM

What I have done when this has happened for me, put the blank in the position of a 90 deg bend. At the point where the blank starts to make its curve, I put the intersection guide at that location.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 10:18AM

Scott, i also do as Mike has stated.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:29AM

Or you could buy your dad a new reel for his birthday- one with a steeper spool angle...

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 07:23PM

I measure up from the reel and put the intersect point at about 45" from the reel spool face. I do this same distance on all my freshwater spinning rods no matter what reel I use. Then I use the table or straightedge method as written up in the library here to set my guides up. I've found it to work very well.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 19, 2005 09:54PM

Check out this related Thread for some very important additional comments by Tom Kirkman, Charlie Smoote, and Tom Doyle.
Spinning reel angle Levi Farster 12-05-04
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,123904,123904#msg-123904]

In brief, the reel angle may not give an elegant intersect point, and that is by no means some fatal flaw in the system nor reason to not use that particular reel. The rest of the Concept guide system (quick choking, lite weight) is more important than the intersect point, as disconcerting as that surprise may initially be. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster