I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork seal as Color preserver?
Posted by: Walter Young (---.block3.tc2.rnktel.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:03PM

Has anyone experimented with cork Seal as a color preserver?
I'm about to give it a try on a piece of scrap. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork seal as Color preserver?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:47PM

Not being sarcastic, but WHY????

Mike

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.226.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:07PM

i was thinking the same thing but perhaps walter is having problems with normal CP as has been documented here and is looking for an alternative. still, i'm curious. walter??? :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:19PM

I've used Future acrylic floor wax as CP on surf rod underwraps before wrapping on the guides . I found there were a number of people that suggested it on this board . I didn't use it on the guide wraps as they were done in NCP . The Future worked well , I think the thread was a blue , 245 I believe . You get a lot in the bottle for 5 or 6 bucks if I remember right . Do a test wrap and try some , can't hurt. JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:38PM

i think you should go for it then let us know how it works. things that make me wonder,is what may be inside the product.or how it may react under the finnish.when you buy cork sealer it is thinned out and when you buy cp it tells you to thin it out.? i don't know, but i know that when i take the lid off both they leave a clear rubbery piece you can pick off and they feel like they are almost the same.cp is a little harder than the cork seal but that may be because it is more solid in the bottle??you can stretch both of them like rubber cement.

Posted by: mike taillefer (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 11:15PM

i think tom will jump in on this but heres my 2 cents. cork seal is silicone based and should not be used for cp.
i think tom will say to use cp.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.pimaco01.az.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 12:08AM

I've tried Future floor wax but not cork sealer.

My latest adventure is using "ROO Glue" and specifically "RooClear" as a CP. This is a water based Melamine and Vinyl adhesive.
I got a 16oz bottle at woodcrafters for under $6 I believe and I have a lifetime supply <G>

I add 5-6 drops in 1oz of water and it has become the best CP I've ever tried.

Posted by: walter Young (---.c3-0.wtr-ubr1.sbo-wtr.ma.cable.rcn.c)
Date: April 18, 2005 01:27AM

The reason I ask is only because I only have a little bit of CP left in the bottle and was wondering about the cork seal because it's so thin and easy to use.
I've got some flex coat on it now and it looks to be fine.
As on cork, I haven't used more than one coat. It's quite possible that 2 coats would flake and peel like on cork.
I also have some Future under the sink, so I will go with that if I run out.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:59AM

Diluted Elmer's Glue will work in a pinch....But your top coat has to be perfect...Any moisture intrusion and you are screwed....Future works fine but it is only a semi color preserver as it darkens threads slightly.

Derek

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: April 19, 2005 01:33AM

Walter,

You may try Gudebrod #840 Rod Finish instead of CP. It's one-part and not darken thread as much as Perma Gloss and 2-part epoxy finishes. I didn't use CP yet, but tried #840 and it almost didn't chage the original color of the thread at all.

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster