I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Disaster
Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:16AM

My son and I are making his Mom a pink rod (see Photo page). We put a coat of finish on this morning and disaster struck! You can see every single pink thread on the blank and the blank even shows through. We did a test using color preserver on the pink and you can more easily see the blank through the thread with the color preserver than without the color preserver, but we didn't add finish to our test and maybe we should have. From this test we didn't use color preserver on the rod. At least we didn't apply the finish this morning all over the butt wrap, just the section from the tie-off for the butt wrap, encompassing the hook keeper to the reel seat. So we wiped as much of the finish off that we could and we're now thinking about what to do. Maybe we should wrap another layer of pink thread, making two layers of pink??? Or take the pink thread off and use black instead. HELP!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing Disaster
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:42AM

Looked at photo page but didn't see it.

Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:47AM

Phil, it's under my son's name, Patrick. It's on about page 6.

Also, put some finish over the color preserver "test" and it's looking pretty good so far.

WE HATE PINK

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:53AM

Richard,
I would just wrap black thread over the pink, making sure there are no gaps, then for safety sake, one coat of Gruderbrod 811, then one coat of finish. That should lock the color down. After that, I probably would avoid pink, and use another color, with a cp such as 811. This shouldn't take too long and would probably give you what you want. There are colors such as goldenrod, sunburst, etc, that show up in a spectacular way. Good luck.
Sanford

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:00AM

No help from me on this one - next time with pink try painting the section of blank with White Krylon Fusion Paint - Pack Pack Pack Pack Pack - - - - - - - - -Pack! I think the Guidebod people invented the Hot Pink to get us Rappers in Trouble Wif De Ladies!

Sanford, I don't trust my dentist and need an explorer - how much should I give him for a new one?

Gonfishn

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:04AM

Bill,
I probably wouldn't go over $2.00. Make sure the point is rounded. Those babies can be sharp!
Sanford

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:48AM

Richard,
You can improve the appearance of your wraps by packing them very well as was suggested above and color preserver will also help but this is a problem that you will have any time that you wrap a light color over a darker colored blank. The best solution, but it is a bit of a pain, is to paint the area of the blank that will be under the wraps with a light color. Either white or a color very close to the color of the thread that you wrap with seem to work the best.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:53AM

Richard, if you don't have any trim or inlays on your guide wraps, I would suggest adding pigment to your epoxy to make it pink. Of course if you have trim in or around the wrap this won't work as it would cover it up. The colored epoxy should fix all your guide wrap worries otherwise. The butt wrap? You may consider doing another test with your thread using multiple coats of CP then epoxy to see what that does first. It may be a case where you can add additional CP to the butt wrap before finishing. Good luck.

Jay

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:20AM

I have wrapped several rods for the ladies using NCP combos of white, light blue, and hot pink on gloss finished blanks. Never never use the hot pink on you guide wraps unless as a tightly packed three thread trim wrap. I usually do a chevron butt wrap out of the three colors with a white underwrap. I always use at least two coats of color preserver after throughly packing all wraps.

Done right the rod gurantees you lots of hugs and kisses.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2005 06:20PM

Much like when using white, when using pink over a dark grey or black blank, you'll want to use NCP pink, pack it tightly and use CP.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 06:44PM

I've sometimes put down a coat of epoxy with white or another light colored pigment in it sort of as an "underwrap" and then wrap over it. I think that it looks pretty good Here is a rod I did for Cub Scouts with a yellow epoxy "underwrap". Might not help you know, but something to keep in mind!
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:04PM

I just did a pink wrap on a black blank. Looks cool to me. I double wrapped with A. I used rose metallic trimbands. 2 coats of CP left overnight to dry, 2 coats of HB. never would know it was a double.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.nas2.spartanburg2.sc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:04PM

Richard

If you've never tried marbleizing, here's your opportunity - it could be a very atrractice, quick fix to your problem. There have been tons of posts on the topic over recent months. If you haven't seen one, you can do a search of this site and find all kinds of information. If you're going for a feminine appearance to your rod, I would think a marbled look with pink as a base color contrasted with white and/or a 3rd color would be quite attractive (for ladies - I think I'll pass). The pink epoxy will be opaque and cover over the undesirable appearance you have now. I don't know if Testor's has a pick color. Your biggest hurdle could be finding the pink pigment.

I agree with several of the other posts - you may need to pack your threads more tightly. I've had the same problem with white and light grey. My preference is normally CP colors but despite packing the light colors as tightly as I can, I still often don't like the results. When I a light color, I always consider NCP as my first choice. A combination of CP and NCP colors in the same wrap can be quite pleasing.

Good Luck!

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.87.144.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:03PM

As stated, when using light colors the best bet is to paint your layout with with white. I'm really sorry to hear that the wrap in question is in trouble as I love that wrap. tight packing and a light background are your best odds. Pack that wrap heavily and CP it. If it doesn't work, redo it with a good underwrap of light color or paint.

Be a shame to lose something so nice.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 01:52AM

Patrick, I know you could do this:

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster