I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dry time for cork rings?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.212.82.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 04:15AM

i just glued up some cork rings with titebond III and it's clamped. the titebond bottle says keep clamped for 30 mins, then don't stress for 24 hours.

how do most of you approach this? how long before you remove the clamp and start sanding/forming the grip?

and a related question, does titebond III take wood stain once dry?

thanks

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dry time for cork rings?
Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 04:56AM

Eric,I have been using Titebond for some time now and it seems that when the glue that oozes out is cured is a good sign all the glue has cured.Usually about an hour.i have had no problem sanding at this point.The only rpoblem I have had is forgetting to wax my mandrel and having the cork stick to the mandrel.Cork will fail before glue.Very good bond.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 12:41PM

Eric,
I have not used Titebond yet but I get a good bond with Weldbond's Universal Adhesive. I normally wait 48 hours before sanding. I just posted a couple of pictures of a new grip that I finished this week. The pictures are a little fuzzy but you should be able to note that there are no glue lines showing. By the way, I really do like working with Andy Dear's "exotic" burl rings.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 04:15PM

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2005 04:17PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 04:16PM

I use a two hour two part epoxy I get from the local craft store. It's thin and easily clamps with no visible glue lines. It cleans up easily with alcohol (91%). I do prefer Rod Bond for attaching to the blank, though. I let either of these set up at least overnight. I then turn the grip on my Jett mini lathe. I wear the blue latex/nitril gloves from the paint store to keep the 2hr. 2pt. epoxy off my hands and make cleanup easier. I know nothing about Tite Bond. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 04:47PM

Eric, If you keep a small area around the hole in the cork glue free you'll reduce the chances of having the cork gettng stuck to the mandrel. Just one of many tips I learned from Andy Dear's DVD "The Wood Lathe in Rodbuilding".

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.208.97.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 06:06PM

"If you keep a small area around the hole in the cork glue free you'll reduce the chances of having the cork gettng stuck to the mandrel."

oops. i mean .... i TRIED!!! but i will find out for sure later today...

thanks everybody!

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.pimaco01.az.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 12:29AM

>i just glued up some cork rings with titebond III and it's clamped. the titebond bottle says keep clamped for 30 mins, then don't stress for 24 hours.
>how do most of you approach this? how long before you remove the clamp and start sanding/forming the grip?

I usually wait an hour or so ... Titebond III is gerat stuff.

>and a related question, does titebond III take wood stain once dry?

Never tried it but since I can't see any glue lines I'm pretty sure it will work just fine.

Here is a lousy pic of a 6'3" 1wt with Titebond III

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 18, 2005 08:04AM

Ellis,

I got some of the Weldbond Universal Adhesive to try, but noticed on a test that when it gets wet the dried glue turns milky. Do you see any issues when the grip gets wet?

Regards
Dave Boyle

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.pimaco01.az.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 10:22AM

>I got some of the Weldbond Universal Adhesive to try, but noticed on a test that when it gets wet the dried glue turns milky. Do you see any issues

None that I know of ... if I get too much glue I just clean it up with a wet paper towel.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.112.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:31AM

well, i waited about 6 hours yesterday and there's basically zero glue lines. nice. but there are pits and holes i'm trying to fill. i tried sanding a small area of "repair" and it looks like the titebond III with cork dust mixed in was still too wet. so now that it's a day later, i'll try again later. off to my other world for now, the world of employment.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.wmc.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 10:25PM

By "issues" I mean if the Weldbond turns milky when it gets wet then to me that indicates it should not be used in a wet environment? I don't want to drop my rod in the water and then be worried about the integrity of the handle because it's wet... Have you guys used Weldbond for a long time?

Dave Boyle

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 02:08AM

After watching Ralph O'Quinn demonstrate gluing rings with Rod Bond in Charlotte and exactly following his methods, I glued up a grip (3 grips, actually) using Andy's exotic burl, burnt burl, and some foam craft rings I made. The Rod Bond, done properly, would be very difficult to beat here unless your time factor is that important. The Rod Bond needs a longer setting time, but that wasn't a problem for me. As an adhesive, I think that Rod Bond is pretty tough to beat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster