I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Supporting rod blank for finishing
Posted by: Kenny Lee (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 04:43AM

I have yet to do my first rod and have enjoyed myself a lot just reading through the archives...This question just pop into my mind...
If I wanna refinish a blank...be it a solid fiiberglass rod or hollow rod blank...how do I go about supporting it so that it can turn on the rod dryer?
Most of the rod blanks I plan to build dont have a long back part that gets covered by the foam or cork handle...its just about 2-3 inches where its attached to a butt ferrule...and these will be used on my featherweight pistol grip handles...Do I lock the butt part on the chuck on the drying motor and support the other end by its tip? thanks in advance for any advice here...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Supporting rod blank for finishing
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: April 16, 2005 08:55AM

If you use U-40 Perma-gloss you won't need to turn the blank. Use about three very thin coats. It dries really fast. I hang the rod by the butt from the trusses overhead in the shop. Use a continuous wipe coat in one sweep the entire length of the rod. Do a search on Perma-gloss and you'll get numerous methods for applying the stuff. You can normally re-coat in 1-1 1/2 hours, so it doesn't take long.

Posted by: Kenny Lee (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 09:46AM

Hi Lynn I read the archives and most say what you suggested...using a continuous wipe...So this means one continuous wipe that is all around? like wrap the coffee filter/rubber gloves/sponge applicator all around the blank? Lets say If I paint on one side of the blank and then quickly turn it over and and paint on the other/under side...would permagloss self level out or would it have two seam marks where they meet?

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:11AM

Hi Ken,
You can apply the Permagloss the way you have mentioned but you will have to move pretty fast to not leave a seam as the Permagloss will dry quickly.
You may have read this in the archives but a pair of rubber gloves and a pair of nylons work well. You may want two people with steady hands to do this or anchor the rod blank at the butt.
Put the gloves on, wrap the nylons or part of them up in the palm of your hand, enough to coaver your fingers enough to surround the rod blank in the nylons when you wrap your hand around the blank. Pour the Permagloss in the nylons in your hand covering the whole palm so it coats the nylons well. Then make smooth even stroke the length of the rod blank sliding off the tip of the blank.
Before doing this on your blank/s you should really find some practice material and get to know the way the Permagloss dries and lays down.
This application of Permagloss is often used when there are numbers of blanks to be coated and with some practice can have many blanks coated in a short amount of time.
Just remeber to use a smooth motion the length of the blank or the Permagloss will build up in the areas that you slow and thin in the areas where you have moved faster.

As to supporting the blank a board with a hole drilled in it works well. Measure the diameter of your blank at the butt and make your hole that size so the rod blank is supported by the board when pulled snuggly into the hole.
With the rods I will be sending you this will be easy because of the taper of the blanks.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2005 10:16AM by Wylie Wiggins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster